1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

if you don't think USFW monitors this site

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by gab, Aug 15, 2012.

1. gab

gab Active Member

you are fooling yourself.if you post anything on here,craigslist or even facebook make yourself aware of the law.call them for clarification and document who you talked to.
    My recent story:A friend has posted a Red Lechwe on Craigslist for me with a pic.He got a response from an individual who said he was in San Antonio on business but going back to his home in Arizona.We told him sorry,no can do.He then asked if any of the ducks in the background of the pic were for sale.I'm convinced he was a USFW agent.
    story#2 our local wardens assisted in the arrest of a man selling 2 geese mounts on craigslist.Met him in a parking lot and took him down.
    I'm not posting this to help lawbreakers.i hope they get what's coming to them.i'm posting this for those ignorant of the laws,telling them to educate themselves.

2. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Yeap, I just saw a hooded meganser drake for sale on craigslist last week. Good post Gab.

3. I hope that they get some of these scammers, although that cannot be easy to do. Scammers not only clog up our ads with illegitimate offers; they also prey on people and are thieves.

4. Bluffcountry

Bluffcountry bluffcountrywoodworks.com

I'm glad to hear that something is being done about this.

5. The government is monitoring deviantART too, I believe. When I was co-founding UKTaxidermy (a group for Taxidermists in UK/Europe) we had a guy approach (brand new account and his first post was on the group wall) and he mentioned he found a Kestrel and wanted to do something with it. We reminded him on the laws regarding raptors and told him he was best leaving it.

I checked the account's activity before I left, the guy hasn't been active since. I firmly believe he was an agent checking to see if we were aware of our laws regarding Raptors. Fortunately, myself and the founder of UKTaxidermy are very aware of the laws, I can't say the same for other people on that site tho, one or two there I know are offing Barn Owl/Other Raptor feathers and claiming they're not protected. As far as I'm concerned, if it's a Raptor, it's protected, and a legit government source will only convince me otherwise.

6. Desert View

Desert View New Member

Re: Re: if you don't think USFW monitors this site

I posted some coues deer on a salt lick on bowsite and coueswhitetail.com had fish and game officer from 100 miles away calling people I knew asking where I was hunting I don't post stuff like that anymore I'm not doing anything illegal but their snooping pissed me off

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Most of us have known this for a long time. Some years back, a deer was poached on the Delaware/Maryland line (literally). The farmer who found it wanted nothing to do with the 170 class 10 pointer and gave it to the county deputy sheriff. The deputy contacted MD DNR and got the require paperwork after which he brought it to my shop. I posted a picture here and 12 hours later DE DNR was at my shop wanting to see this poached deer. I ruined their morning by showing them that I had all the paperwork signed by MD DNR and it really was none of their business. I think it ruined their day.

8. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

I`ve posted same on any animal part going in or out of the country, even a mouse. no can do without a usda liscence and pernit and inspection fees at he border. yet near weekly see canadians thaniking some poor schmut in the u.s. for the raccoon or whatever. or the reverse. and all these african ads....lol!

9. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

If you have any doubt about USFWS setting people up on here just do a google search for "Kevin Mcmaster deadzoo.com"

Kevin was an arrogant jerk on here some years back and no matter how many times perpole warned him that he was breaking the law he would just belittle them and cuss them out. Wellll he sold 4 endangered cat skins to a USFWS agent right here on taxidermy.net and got nailed. in 2006 he was sentenced to 25 months in prison. When you google it the "official USFWS story even mentioneds taxidermy.net as the source..

So the moral of the story is learn what the hell you are doing before you post any thing even remotely questionable on here!!

10. Raynewolfe

Raynewolfe TY for understanding things outside our control.

RE: "story#2 our local wardens assisted in the arrest of a man selling 2 geese mounts on craigslist.Met him in a parking lot and took him down."

So wait.. (bare with me, I dont do waterfowl yet).. You cant sell an already mounted waterfowl.. like a goose..? Really? That seems odd. What about craft items or mountable stuff on hand from those 2 african critters that hit CITES this year? Just curious. Thanks guys.

11. No Kay you cannot sell waterfowl unless they are from a game farm with paperwork to back it up.

12. Raynewolfe

Raynewolfe TY for understanding things outside our control.

That includes then after its mounted? So, not to be silly, but what should I do with my 'student' work after I complete it? And what about vintage?

Thank you for your patience.. I dont want to be one of those 'people who didnt know' either and I appreciate everyone here that helps me understand things before there is a problem. :)

on waterfowl.. so, domestic breeds you find in your common barnyards.. like runner ducks or geese, etc... do they get mad about those?

Thanks.

13. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Hey Kay it is even more sooo after they are mounted. The USFWS has an issue with taxidermy and taxidermist. Not to muddy the Waters but with migratory birds as long as you renderthem useless for taxidermy there is a little know acception that allows the feathers to be sold for fly tying and the down industry. But god forbid you are a taxidermist trying to do so they will crucify you! domestic breeds are OK As are properly documented captive raised "wild species" there are several people on here that raise captive water fowl and have the proper permit to sell them.

It is a Stick web of SH!T and is getting worse by the day.

14. circuitcat

circuitcat Member

I was unaware that waterfowl could not be sold either. I mean I understand tigers, and protected species, but a goose? Wow. Just wondering, but what... why would a goose be illegal to sell? I've seen regular duck skulls on ebay on multiple occasions. I imagine those count too? That's interesting and good to know. Luckily I'm not interested in waterfowl. I'll stick with fishers and bears thank you!

15. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

Very simple! Just read 50 CFR on Migratory Birds and all your questions will be answered.

16. There are alot of idiots selling on ebay too.

17. Yep no can sell a taxidermy type waterfowl. We taxidermist cannot sell parts either, but fly tyiers can sell wood duck sides and even get away with polar bear parts. The fly tyiers must have been Drs and Lawyers!

18. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Pretty sure I heard a story about a guy who got nailed in California for selling a set of deer antlers he'd found at a garage sale on eBay. Even things which seem pretty simple can end up getting you in a lot of trouble, apparently. It's a shame there's no written source for all wildlife laws that could be sent out in a newsletter or something so that those of us who deal with wildlife and taxidermy could have hard copies of the laws pinned to our shop walls at all times.

19. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Oh definitely, I've had to report a good handful this past month.

- person in NY selling a crow skull, assured in his description that it's perfectly legal ::)
    - several people with owl mounts, one being a fresh looking Great Horned from Illinois
    - bear skulls and mounts
    - international guy trying to sell a babirusa skull, endangered CITES species
    etc

20. bwilke

bwilke Member

A couple weeks ago I saw someone had a mounted wood duck for sale on craigslist. I sent him a curtsy email explaining to him how it's illegal to buy and sell water fowl and left him my number to call me he he had any questions. The next day I saw it was removed from craigslist. Maybe just maybe I thought I'd might get a thank you email or call from him but nothing........Guess I should've let him sell it to a warden