1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by eliscull, Aug 15, 2012.

1. eliscull

eliscull Nov. 2011

NJ
    You guys think this is the same deer. First the live photos are from the 2009 season of a deer I have been hunting, and the mounted ones were from a 2011 season kill. Was told it was killed 60 plus miles from the deer I was hunting. I didn't see him last year or the year prior, it was like he vanished. It is too far and just not possible for him to travel that. But wow they look alike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Deer can travel that far so it is not out of the question. It sure looks like the same deer to me. Tbe other thing is why do you believe the hunter?. He could have shot it anywhere. Most guys aren' t truthfull about where they shoot their trophy bucks.

Bruce

3. eliscull

eliscull Nov. 2011

NJ
    i hear you on that one. i know they can travel that but in NJ there just isn't enough woods to allow that...too many city areas

4. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

Man, they look alike....... at first I thought the RS G1 was slightly different but hard to tell. Then looked for little fork on LS beam end but no clear view.

I'm thinking the "where" it was shot is the wildcard. People have been known the lie about where a deer was killed........

5. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

Ha, beat me to it......

6. TLN

TLN Member

utah
    it sure looks like the same buck, but either way that is a beautiful mount.

7. eliscull

eliscull Nov. 2011

NJ
    it is 2 seasons apart from each other, so some differences is expected. also they say every other year the deer tends to look more alike...so i heard. That was a deer I named Bently and I missed him with my bow at 28 yards. Thought he was at 23 and I just shot under him. I was sick. Then 2 years later I'm on here looking threw the heads of the week and as soon as I see him I'm like oh my god it's Bently and then notice the taxidermist was from my state. Asked him where it was taken to find out the deer was taken in my state as well. Just the places don't really go, but I think it is him. My heart sank when I saw the pic..sounds weird I know but I was upset. Hard to explain.

8. I remember a study the DNR did here in MN. They walked hay fields in the spring to find new born fawns and then ear tagged them. Some of those deer traveled a long ways. Some were shot 40-50 miles away. One even crossed the Mississippi River (which is over a mile wide here) and was shot in WI.

9. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

He gave you a shot at him and you blew it. He moved on inhopes of hooking up with someone who was a better shot. Evidently people in NJ can't shoot to good on the average. Finally he found the right hunter and the right taxidermist. Cool deer...beautiful mount. You know, these deer have to live and die with their choices too. LOL Besides, he said there was too much traffic in your area, and since he doesn't like pain and a slow death from being hit by a car, he moved to where someone was capable of taking him out clean. LOL

Just messing with ya. Sorry you didn't get him, but yeah.......it's the same deer. Your neighbor shot it in this same field as pictured. He just didn't have the heart to tell ya. ;)

10. I would think that he would have gained alot more mass in those 2 years. I think that it is part of his stock that has traveled that far do to natural disspersion of the heard. Five yards should not make a differance under 30 yards unless you are shooting a 30 year old bow that is slower than dirt. Must have been buck fever. I have missed several deer at that same distance and tried to blame it on something other than operater error HAHA. Those are all nice looking bucks in the first two pics.

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Doesn't look like the same deer to me. Similar yes, but not the same. The frame shape and angle of the g-2's seems different.

12. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Deer can travel hundreds of miles, its not unlikely that IF he is the same deer he could be in another location 60 miles away 2 years later. If there are no receptive does in his area he will move to find them

13. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Wow, they sure look the same, only the deer I mounted was only a 2 1/2 year old, not a very large framed deer. My customer said the deer had the same antlers the year before, there was an old broad head wound on the right side of the head probably from when he was a fawn or a yearling at best. But who knows, I wouldn't bet my life its not the same . The other deer in that photo looks a little out of whack also. Pretty cool.

14. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Nice mount! Try mule deer the bucks around here. They have radio collared deer that have traveled well over a hundred miles in mountain country in just a few days during the rut.

15. I think it is a different buck looking at his right side the size and angle of the G3 is very different

16. In my opinion it is not the same deer.It sure is a beautiful mount.

17. I also say a different deer. In the pic the right and left side are almost the same height and the brow is longer. The mounted deers right side is not as tall as the left and brow tine seems much smaller.

18. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Genetics could also have a hand in it. May possibly be a different buck from overlapping bloodlines.
    Best, Steve

19. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Similar, but not the same deer.

20. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

These two deer are a half a state away, approx.60-70 miles. There are deer all over N.J. so there would be no reason for this deer looking for a date that far away.LOL They do look similar but the deer in the trail cam is much older and the rack is higher, plus there is a 2 year difference in age from the deer I mounted, one would think a non-typical rack would change year to year.