1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Coyote Shoulder Mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by RageofAnath, Aug 16, 2012.

1. RageofAnath

RageofAnath Will make art for money or dead things.

I finished this a while ago and now don't feel so close to it so tear away! This was my first coyote and first open-mouthed anything.

(Also, I know what to fix on the nose next time, its too flat-looking and not enough cartilage was removed when I prepped it.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rob58

Rob58 New Member

Im no taxidermist but your mask looks nice the tongue and teeth look great sure wish i was doing masks this well keep up the good work.

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

one of the big problems i see is the nose does not look full enough and rounded...just kind of shrunk up.....eyes look a little squinty....

4. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

That muzzle looks like it's been squashed into the face about an inch. Not sure how you managed that, but it looks most unusual.

Here's a profile shot of an open-mouth yote: http://www.chesleyhouse.com/Gallery/coyote.jpg

Note how the tip of the nose extends further than the bottom of the lower jaw? Your coyote's lower jaw looks like it's about even with the tip of the nose.

5. RageofAnath

RageofAnath Will make art for money or dead things.

Yeah, I had the ears WAAAY too far back to start, so I moved the nose back a bit more to make it fit a bit better, but I didn't add enough clay to get it back to where it should be after I fixed the ears and didn't notice until too late. Next time I'm going to put the ears in the right place from the start so I have enough skin up front.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The bottom jaw looks misaligned. Did you tie the "hinge" together when you installed it? As Museum Man said, your eyes are pulled and your ears look a bit "thick". I think you did a nice job for your first on what can prove to be a difficult animal.

7. Niccum

Niccum New Member

George is right Very sold start!