1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Arapaima

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by kurtro08, Aug 16, 2012.

1. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Has anyone every been lucky enough to mess with these before going on endangered species list? Is there any cast out there of them? This is number one on my bucket list for fish.

Attached Files:

2. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

They may be endangered, i don't know. What I do know is they are in EVERY cafe and at the fish market every day in Brazil. Very tasty. I don't know of any replicas though.

3. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

The Oregon Zoo has a GIANT novelty replica of one caught in South America. It's longer than I am tall! Here's a pic: http://photos.zoochat.com/large/oregon_zoo_1541-84777.jpg

4. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Ahh very nice, I would love to be able to get my hands on a replica. Molding one myself would be great but dont think I will every get one in the United States. Ron it looks like I need to go to brazil mold one and ship it over, I have a lot of friends that live there.

5. You check with the Vietnamese around here. I know they have lots of arawanas I've mounted several of them .

6. Ron 60

Ron 60 New Member

I've done a couple of them, and have been racking my brain trying to think were I got the blanks from..You might try Mike Kirkhart. I think the ones I worked on were in the 70" inch range, but it's been at least three or four years ago and I've slept since than..

7. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Mr, Joe your telling me I can get them around here? these things get up to ten feet long lol this isnt the little fish that swims around in the cup at walmart. Ahaha just messing with you. I wish I could find somebody this would be in my personally collection asap!
    Ron I wish you could sleep on it and wake up with an answer I would love to get one that is for sure I would order it this week. I talk to Mr Mike all the time next time we are on the phone I will bring it up.

8. Fishermans Tale

Fishermans Tale Member

Rick Hardy has one.

UNIQUE SPECIES, INC.
    Marine Artist - Rick Hardy - Taxidermy
    1190 East Ohio Ave., Lake Helen, Florida 32744
    (386) 228-3525

9. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Thank you very much I will be getting one asap, I really am excited now

10. Rick Hardy has a few nice ones. I Just checked them out this weekend.