1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gamehead guy needs some L/S advice

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Wolfe, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Long story short....I have a THUMPER 1/2 life-size whitetail I am working on (standing pose) and the wimpy 1/4" threaded rods in the front legs are not strong enough to hold the form up in a free standing pose. My vision is to mount this buck on a small base along with a fence post and some misc. habitat material.

I've been racking my brains trying to figure out a way to pull this off without having to have the deer stabilized by anything other than the rods (fence post, etc)....but my lack of experience with life-size mounts and habitat building is painfully obvious.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

I'm leaning towards using the fence post to stabilize the deer...(not the look I was going for)

THANKS!!!!

2. Cut a trough in the leg and foam in a larger rod.

Bruce

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Ditto.

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

Ditto again.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm a bit shocked at that advice without questions first. Why is a HALF L/S being "freestanding"? What are you planning to do with the backboard? These forms have "tiny rods" simply because they're intended to only attach the hooves to the habitat whoever the mount is supported by the backboard. Though heavier rods CAN be installed, I don't see enough information to require it.

6. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Excellent point George! My last big project was a life-size whitetail that is supported in the front only...so I had it in my head I could do something similar with the 1/2.
    I think I am going to leave the small rods and support the mount with some creative habitat.

Thanks guys!

7. Lifesize big game mounts aren't intended to be made into "air mounts" either. But with a lot of creativity and big welded rods you can make it happen. Wolfe wants to try something different. Why not? You can add bigger rods to make it free standing and finish off the wood back with a rock mix and it would look pretty cool.

Bruce

8. bucksnort25

bucksnort25 New Member

I am actually working on a half-lize and doing exactly what Bruce suggests. I am going to get everything altered, then weld in some square tubing for support. Done correctly it will be solid and detachable.

9. George

Bruce- because he's a beginner! And he probably wasn't thinking about what we see as logical. Now tell me- just how many half-lifesized FREE STANDING mounts have you ever seen? How was the back finished so it didn't look like a cat's ass in a spotlight?

10. It wasn't posted in the beginner section and I have seen a few mounts like that over the years.

11. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

I attached the 180" rack and test fit the hide. As expected...the nose is now touching the floor because the small rods won't hold. That is when it hit me.....I'm gonna' leave it that way and have the buck drinking water!!! ;D

I've been doing taxidermy for 10 years (95% game heads)....and the only other 1/2 life-size mounts I've done were all wall mounts ( several bears and an aoudad) I guess what got me thinking it could be free standing was the picture I referred to in the McKenzie catalog. After taking a closer look at that pic, I'm guessing the fence post is actually providing additional support.

Here are crappy pictures of the two life-size deer I've mounted to date.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Cut the backboard off, slot and tuck the back side, add bigger rods. You can dig the little rods out, it's only foam. slot the leg with a skinny roughing tool, bend the rod to fit the slot, bondo it in from top to bottom, rasp the bondo off to match the contour of the leg.
    Next time, order the form with no rods so you can put your own in. It is easier than you think.

13. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

A cats ass in a spotlight. Nice visual..........LMAO

I agree T, installing the rods is easier than dealing with the rods not big enough or in the wrong place. They always end up where the relief slot is supposed to be for me. A very wise taxidermist once taught me to get forms with no rods and cut them up however you want rather than be held hostage by how the form comes in the box. The big companies will pour without rods and send you the rods for you to put in.

14. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Seriously George. Where has your artistic creative vision gone?? Who cares how many we've seen but I'm sure there is plenty out there (isn't that the point to make something creative that not everybody does). I have plans to do a couple in the future when I get the right specimen. Its no different than a shoulder pedestal that is supported on a base. This ones support is its legs. It's not like a half life size weighs a million more lbs than a shoulder ped. Do well done shoulder ped backings look like a cat's ass or what? You finish the back the same as a shoulder ped, artistically and creatively.

I wouldn't take the easy road and support it by habitat unless that is your only support point. Go for it with the leg rods.

15. George

Kyle, you'll have to forgive me, but I'm not in the business to display MY artistic impressions, but those that the client wishes. I've done one or two half lifesize deer and they always ALWAYS look as if something's missing (DAMN, IMAGINE THAT?) The half L/S fit right up there with the Revolution form with two peckers hanging down from the brisket. You guys can talk all this "beautiful flowers and roses" you like in here, but I know what the visitors would say if they saw a "free standing" half lifesize mount. And while you're spreading all those beautiful flowers and roses, I want to see ONE OF YOU POST A PICTURE OF ONE. Like Tom Selleck in "Quigley Down Under" - Never said I COULDN'T, just said I never much cared for it. I COULD make a Swamp Booger out of a deer's ass, but I never much cared for that either.

16. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Whatever George. Thats probably one of the dumbest things you've ever said lmao. If all you want to do is standard mounts for money be my guest but you are missing out on the extra money that comes with such projects. Every mount gets artistic impressions some just more than others. If the client wants the half ls they will get it and it will look cool. Like I said I have a couple idea to do a couple some day but it will come in time. Keep pushing boring conventional work if you want I wont.

17. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Thats the prettiest sight of a cat's ass I've ever seen. Not quite half ls but would have looked just as cool with the legs on it

[​IMG]

18. I think you should do what you want also and try something new. Everything we do someone had to do first it may catch on and people love it if you hold back and never try anything you'll never be anything I dont see how you can argue with that.........

19. George

Nice try Kyle, but no cigar. That's no prettier than a gorgeous whitetail pedestal done by Fred Vanderberg coming out of a gnarled cedar stump for the nationals and even that wasn't a half-lifesize freestanding. But I'm patient. I'll wait until one of you does one just to shut me up. LOL

20. Wolfe this is the backing board George was talking about.

[​IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/img]