1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Articulating a cat skeleton. Glue dries slowly!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by ginevive, Aug 20, 2012.

1. I am beginning my first larger articulation, using a domestic cat skeleton. It is missing bones, but I figure that it will be more of a crafty looking piece when done; I might add bits of fur or clay covered in fur for the missing bone parts.

I am trying to get creative with wires and styrofoam to help hold bones together as I glue them, since the Elmer's glue has never seemed as slow-drying to me! I did manage to get the pelvic bones held in the right position by placing them in between a few heavy objects while the glue dries.

Any hints on keeping my sanity? Can you use a hairdryer or heat bloweryer to speed up the glue drying, or is this a bad idea? I have put bones together before, but I wimped out and used a heat glue gun; a shoddy idea, since the glue makes such a big glob and is visible in the finished product. (but I miss the fast-drying properties that it has.)

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Five minute epoxy/

3. I use liquid cement it drys in just a couple minutes and drys clear. But I wouldn't use heat to dry glue.

4. Those sound like good ideas. I actually have some epoxy here to use; thanks!

5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    This is the best 5-minute epoxy I have ever used.

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/Quick-Cure-c25.htm

6. Baccus

Baccus Member

I use common superglue. Most of my work is with medium size reptiles, but when mounting something larger, you can drill and insert small metal rods for support. I just did a few marine mammal mounts for a research station and used metal with epoxy.

Use clay to build a base to hold your bones in place and then go to town with glue. This will free up your hands and save you some sanity.

For a cat, superglue and wire should do the job for just about everything. Hobby shops and hardware stores typically have small brass dowels you can use for added support, and I recommend super sculpy for sculpting replacement parts. It is not too expensive, bakes in the oven, does not dry out and can be painted or carved after baking.

http://www.sculpey.com/products/clays/super-sculpey

Best of luck and post pics and and further questions you may have.

7. Thanks. I am having really good luck using a styrofoam block and toothpicks to hold the bones in place while the glue dries. I am still using the Elmers, because I like the fact that I can soak later and remove/reposition things if I am struck by the urge to, say, disarticulate it and use it in crafts.But there are some tedious parts that I do plan on using superglue for.

8. grf68

grf68 Member

MA
    I use hot melt glue to hold things in place while the elmers dries. Its quick easy and peels right off without damaging anything.

9. That's an idea, too.. thank you.

10. Use clay and "3rd hand" tools to hold pieces in place while the elmer's dries.