1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

neck wrinkles on a long haired deer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by KatieC, Aug 22, 2012.

1. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I'm just starting on my fourth deer and have an upright form with a head turn, so that wrinkles form in the skin on one side of the neck. I did a search on wrinkles here, and everyone said not to put wrinkles in with a long haired cape. My cape has long hair, so I'm not sure what to do. I can't get it on the mannikin without some wrinkles forming on the one side of the neck due to the head position, and I don't want to leave folds in the skin without sculpting the actual wrinkles underneath with clay.

What do you do in this situation?

Here are some photos of a test fit if they help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I feel like this is a silly question but I'd like this deer to turn out well. Advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Taxi the skin around and loose them wrinkles.

3. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

There is no problem with natural or induced wrinkles as long as they appear in THE NATURAL FLOW OF THE ANIMAL AND IT'S SKIN. Many of us use the old dextrine based hidepaste for this very purpose. We can replace a roll of clay with a thick roll of hidepaste and achieve the desired results. Elephant dung, a mixture of dextrine base with a good amount of vermiculite added in is also a viable substritute for clay and allows much in the way of sculpting under the skin for such situations. Yes, you want to taxi the skin, but don't buy into the notion that long haired animals don't have wrinkles. Obviously most often not as visible, but still there just the same.

Note: in your provided pictures, biggest prolbem you have is most of that skin that is causing the wrinkles needs to go up towards the head. Look at where the head skin is. Way too low. Once you do taxi the skin up into place, most of your situation will remove itself.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Antlerman is dead on. Taxi your skin into place further up along the neck and you'll lose most of that skin. The discussion on wrinkles for long hair deer is not wether or not they have them, but wether or not they are visible due to the length of the hair. They are usually not IMO (I said usually not always). Some guys seem to try too hard to make wrinkles and muscle definition on long-haired deer and go way overboard and end up with a freakish looking mount (IMO), hence the advice to lose the wrinkles. Once you're sure you have the skin taxied into place, you can use clay, or one of the paste mixes suggested by anterman, or you can also cut grooves with a thin rasp to tuck the skin into creating the wrinkle. There are usually wrinkle indentations on the form you can use as a pattern. Just deepen them with a rasp and tuck the skin into the rasped out area. Make sure you get good references as the wrinkles will be much more vertical in direction than horizontal and won't extend into the front of the neck as shown in your photo. They'll be more in the area where the shoulder and neck meet. Good luck!

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

De ja vu all over again.
    Try this: http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,314746.0.html

6. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Thanks! I learn so much on this forum.