1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Doing mounts for your boss?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by double barrel, Aug 26, 2012.

1. double barrel

double barrel New Member

All you part-timers out there, do you do taxi work for your boss on your regular job? How bout co-workers? I was just curious. I work for a one owner shop, construction, and his contracts run into the millions. I've been there 6 years, as a lead man, made him tons of money. He has never ask me to mount anything for him, although he knows I've been doing it 42 years, and just opened back up 3 yrs. ago parttime. Maybe he figures I'll be leaving him if or shall I say "when" I get my buss. off the ground. He did say he had a couple of deer he wanted done and wanted to look at my work when he was trying to sucker me into doing something for him. "I've got something else I want to talk to you about when I come out there." He wanted me to be his "superintendent" , or shall I say, "babysitter", and watch over all the other workers including foremen. I declined and he's never mentioned the mounts again. I can smell a rat a mile away. He's always saying "you can't be friends with these guys". He's talking about when you're in a lead position you can't go drinkin with the guys under you. I kinda agree with that, you become buddies and they will expect you to look the other way when they are late or mess up. I guess he figures if I do mounts for him, we'll become friends, I don't know.I can't stand the arogant somebeach. I don't hate him, just don't want to be around him. I think he knows that, pluss he likes the braggin rights. He takes his deer over to a million dollar shop and pays more to show off. He's got more mounts than any two taxi shops. It does get old walking in every now and again and seeing a new deer ,sitting in the floor, no place to hang it up. Out of all those mounts, he only has one or two that even shows the whites of the eyes, only one where you can see any veins on the muzzle or nose and I laugh to myself when I see cracking behind the eyes on several deer. No rotated eyes at all. He thinks he's getting top end work, he ain't. He does have some decent mounts though. He gets alot done out where he took the animal. The last one came in dammaged, from a trucking mess up. I was just wondering. I have done work for other "bossmen" in the past.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Doing work for bosses and co-workers sux...I've been there. I never mentioned taxidermy around anybody up the chain when I had a career, because I knew there was one or two in particular that would want something for nothing.

3. bzb_1

bzb_1 Member

I do a ton for co-workers and bosses. Never had any issues. One guy did bring me a deer paid deposit and never came back for the finished product. I've made it a point to NEVER mention it at our job. It's been 2 years. It looks nice hanging in the shop. Lol. Only time I've had any issues. A lot of people I work for/with take their mounts to other taxidermists. It doesn't bother me at all. I am normally turning work away by the end of the year.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Same as relatives, full price, same turn around.

5. You sound a bit bitter as it is. Might want to keep your taxidermy and your full time job seperate in any case.

6. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Sheephunter, I guess I can see why you would call me bitter. I'm bored to death with my job, after 33 years of that. Topped out in pay, no where to go. The post wasn't about me, I was asking about others in a simular situation. I could get my boss as a cust if I wanted to ask him. But, he gets so much mounted even if he brought me a truck load of deer it would still be only crumbs from his table. He still leaves stuff out west, up north, whereever he kills it and still brings stuff back to two other taxis that he uses around town. Alot of people have ask, why don't he bring his stuff to you, as much money as you make him? Arrogance, nothin more. I could do my job blindfolded, but if I get work this fall, I will leave it with him. Then he'll only have his regular crowd. Mostly good workers and good guys, only most on drugs, alcohol , late every morning, leaving early, can't pass a background check, need a baby sitter to watch over them. Being trustworthy and dedicated, that's what I'm talking about. Hard to find someone with those qualitys.

7. Sounds like it just sucks to go to work there every day. Hope you get what you need this fall.
    Best Wishes.

8. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Since I've started my little part time business, the boss had me mount a bobcat and deer for him. I charged my full price and he paid right away with no questions. Smooth and easy transaction from my viewpoint. He owns a high fenced ranch in south Texas and does quite a bit of hunting so I hope to get more from him.

I might add that he was very pleased with the mounts.

9. Don't know the whole situation, but maybe your boss doesn't want to mix business. It could put him in a bit of a situation if he started using you for his mounts.

10. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Very simple to me. When money changes hands, it is a business transaction. Boss, brother, friend, stranger......I treat them all the same. I wouldn't go around my day job talking about taxidermy, so it would not come out that I had done work for the boss. What happens after work hours (especially my part time job transactions) stays out of my day job discussions. I am teaching High School since retirement from the Air Force and I just started a mount for my boss, the principal......but my co-workers have no need to know, and he is paying full price and waiting in line like everyone else.

11. catman

catman Active Member

You need to quit your job. You are doing your company and boss a great diservice by whining about how much money you have made him and how little you get in return. Become a fulltime taxidermist, that way when the boss is a jerk, you actually can do something to correct the problem. Once you become resentfull over those in authority over you, it is time to make a change.

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Agreed

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Exceptionally well put.

14. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

When I first started out, I got laid off in a recession, my ex boss became my best client. I can't even recall how much work he referred to me. But when I worked FOR him, it was more like working WITH him. It was kind of like working with a "big brother", he taught me about business and doing things right to make a living and I'm sure he expected the same from me when doing business with me. That was 40 years ago and when he passed away a few years ago, I was asked to sit with the family at the funeral.

I totally agree with catman.

15. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Catman, I really like your first statement, I'm trying hard to make a career change . I AM thankfull to have a job when so many don't. No, I don't resent my boss for making money and he's not in athourity, he leaves me alone and I run my own project and hardly ever see him. That's my point, 99 % of his employees are drug users, drunks, they will steal anything not nailed down, can't pass a background check, and have to have someone to watch over them. He feels he has to have a superintendent, that's what he calls it, to watch over them. They're all bunched up on 2 or 3 jobs and he has to have a babysitter. I get a job, like a highschool for example, and he trusts me to just take the ball and run with it. I've worked for twelve air cond. companies I have never burned a bridge when I left one of them. Always got a truck to drive home and free gass. I don't have to pick up my tools unless I want to. I just tell all the younger whipersnapers what to do.
    I guess it would be considered a pretty good job. But, everything is built so fast now. Coordinating with other trades, block masons, electricians, plumbers, sprinklerfitters, steelworkers, it can get kinda hectic at times. No coordinating, just everyone working on top of everybody else all the time and dangerious too. A man got killed on my last job. Got electricuted. They had a scaffold collapse in a separate incedent. Broke a man up bad. Two years ago, a crane turned over. Boom was all the way out, over 100 feet, crane flipped over on its back, all 4 tires sticking up in the air. It took 2 cranes and two flatbed trucks to disassemble it and haul it out. One crane had to leave and bring in a bigger one.Construction is dangerous as hell nowadays, because of the hurry up attitude. OSHA is always there, after the fact. And it's a joke. They can't just walk in on your job without anouncing their presence to the super with the construction company. By then, he has sent someone in the building to tell everyone to get up all the faulty drop cords, bad ladders and such and gettem off the job.
    I'm gettin out if I have to go to work for another taxibedermis.
    How many mounts does a man need anyway? If someone stole one of his deer mounts, I dought he would miss it for a few days, unless it was his biggest favorite or he noticed a bare spot on the wall. My point being, if he let me mount one of his lesser bucks, and I messed it up and put the antlers on backwards, he would 'nt miss the money, he would make it back in 1 hour , besides he has heard good reports on me and my mounts as I have done work for several that he deals with everyday.
    I just wondered if anybody else has had a "boss" do them this way.
    Just ranting I guess, thanks for listening to me whining.
    Cole and George, I admire yall and respect ya, but somethings tellin me you've never worked construction. Yea, It's time I quit my job.

16. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Not exactly sure what I said that gave you that impression? When I was young I painted with my father who was a painter for about 25 years before changing careers. That was mostly residential, but I did lay floor for a while and we did commercial jobs on a regular basis.

17. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Cole, I've seen pitcurez of your mounts . I only hope wish and pray that one day my mounts look as good as yours. I admire all you guys, including gorge.

18. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Is your insurance paid and do you collect a a regular paycheck every week ? Taxidermy can always be done as a side job that you charge a price that makes you more money per hour than your regular job. That means not charging 400.00 to mount a deer head or 6.00 an in. for fish. If you cannot make more money per hour than you currently are you might as well go fishing or blow some holes in something at the target range in your free time. You will still have headaches and stress running your own business. It seeses to amaze me how people think that taxidermy is the easy way to make a living. To actually make 50k a year and do it legally you need to gross well over a hundred k. Do the math on that at 500.00 a head and see how that works with what you think you might take in for work .

19. Riverland

Riverland New Member

DB if you are as good at construction as you say you are why would you not just get your own contractors license and be the bossman. Same $hit different pile as being a taxidermist. Just bidding out larger jobs.

20. bowhuntr

bowhuntr Member

DB...hope your day/ week gets better...sounds like times might be a little tight and stressful for you now and that you just need to vent a little. i think with things the way they are right now, that deep inside most of us reach the point you are at. you might just need to get it off your chest and then next week you can trod on down your path a bit longer...just try to focus on how much more fortunate that you have it than some others you see around you...the sun will shine again tomorrow