1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How old is this deer, and what do you think he scores?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Spikeanator6982, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Spikeanator6982

Spikeanator6982 Member

He seems like he has a huge belly on him to me, but his back doesn't seem to have much sway to it. this is a South Dakota deer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

3 1/2 maybe 4 1/2 but his mass will seem less when the velvet comes off.... in the 150's taking in the spur of the G-2 on rt side.
    But what do I know I'd shoot him and measure later......

3. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

Beautiful deer!! Looks like a damn nice spot to sneak into and get him before he goes into the fields.

4. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Notice the red barn about 9-10 oclock in the pics, what's that maybe 150 yrds away.

5. 4 1/2

6. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

3 1/2 lower to mid 150's.......... right on.. My favorite kind of rack, tall boys. Where did you say your exact location was again ? LOL.

7. Great photos! You will have to pm me the GPS coordinates before I could possibly give you a precise age...

8. AaronWolf

AaronWolf Member

nice pics. obviously bushnell camera but what model? good luck putting your tag on him

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I would bet good money he's older than 3. I would guess 4 or 5. If that's a 3 year old he needs to walk, he would be a monster. His ass looks too big for me to guess any younger than 4.5. Score 140's

10. BMHET

BMHET Member

41/2 mid to upper 140s

11. 4 1/2 mid 140

12. Spikeanator6982

Spikeanator6982 Member

Ya thats about right for the barn, not sure what that matters< just dont shoot at the barn, or grain bins that you also can see. I reall thought this guy was around 5 1/2 and would, pry score 140s. if he is 3..i dont want to shoot him yet. Since i plan on farming/ranching, managing our wildlife is about the best use I have for my WL and FIsh degree, but its seems to be working. Since you all seem to enjoy heres a 5x6 that i really want to try to keep alive feel free to guess age and score on him too..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and two other bucks,

[​IMG]

and a doe..that I really want to get mounted...but I don't know how old she is and would like her to pass on her genes if she is still fairly young. I have pics of her last winter/fall and she appears grown then too aka not a fawn/young of the year.

[​IMG]

In seriousness, my father does keep saying we should get some deer hunters..other than family. But i have been trying to keep him off that idea. The camera is a Bushnell "black" its a last years model. number for it is 119466c

13. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

I'd pay to hunt your property.

14. Body says 3 1/2 so does the head, the nostril width and lip line would suggest 3 1/2

Gut says SUMMER DEER.

Ask these pen deer guys, when they dart them in late summer and weigh them, they will push high 250's and 300's. Obviously they are pen deer being fed, but at the same time, this time of year the difference between the two is less significant.

I only look at heads when they are summer deer because everything else this time of year is difficult.