1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking to switch tannery

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by west1542, Aug 28, 2012.

1. I am looking to switch tanneries and was checking to see who knew of good reliable ones. I've been using the WLG in texas for their flesh and tan service and have not been very happy this year with them. Looking for a flesh and tan service.

2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Welcome to the taxidermists game called "Tannery Roulette"

3. stu

stu New Member

Jeff Morris at big river taxidermy does mine send them green get them back and mount. Great person to deal with. 563-538-3840

4. davehyer

davehyer New Member

pine acres ray weaver 330 857 2480

5. I would be happy to do them. Send them to me green and when you get them back they are ready to mount!

Mike Edmonds
    Wilderness Taxidermy
    & Commercial Tannery
    Wildernesstaxidermyonline.com
    [email protected]

6. trophyroomar

trophyroomar New Member

Can I ask why you were unhappy with them? I was planning to use their tanning service this season.

7. Simon

Simon New Member

Dont use Wildlife Gallery, I asked them to do wet tan and they did them dry tans. They also put alot of holes in the mouth and nose area.

8. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Microtan in IL. Skin em' off the skull, bag, freeze and ship. They turn eyes, nose, lips and ears. Wet tan and when it gets to you it's ready to mount... $85 bucks.
    Best, Steve

9. I've been using Carolina fur dressing for 25 years with no problems. Two other taxidermist in my area have used them for just as long ,one even longer, and have had the same good service that I have had.

10. butterbean

butterbean New Member

Had good luck with micro-tan , on my 5 year with them.

11. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Just curious what kind of turn around time with Microtan?

12. I've been getting my capes back with alot of blown out ears and alot of small holes to sew up if I wanted to sew holes I'd flesh em myself and save the money LOL I just expect better quality...I don't do a huge quanity but I spend about 1500 a year with them and expect them to do a little better I guess.... maybe I'm just being an ass I dont know...how is microtans turnaround time? I didnt see it on their website..does anyone have any pics of their finished hides?

13. ..by the way steven looked at your facebook page you do very good work! How long have you been using them and have they done the tans of the animals on your profile?

14. butterbean

butterbean New Member

90 - 120 days on average for the most part. Follow there wash instructions and mount.Only thing i did when i started with them when i washed the capes i didnt spin them dry enough made them slip a little till they were dry.

15. I also tried Micro-tan last year. They even have a route they drive all over the place to come to your shop and pick up the capes so you don't have to ship them. They have a large walk in trailer to keep everything frozen. If you call them and schedule it they can pick up all your capes for free. I will be using them for all my capes this year. They are super white clean and like was said before, follow their instructions on soaking and spin drying and then mount it is great!

16. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Thank you brother.
    Yes, the buck on my profile was Micro tanned though I must be honest and tell you the short version of the story.
    I was a firm believer in tanning my own and have for the decade of my business. I recently acquired a taxidermy business 45 min. south of me. In that transaction came the balance of several mounts to be finished. All capes and hides had already been tanned by Microtann. I was a bit sceptacle as most capes I puchase from other tanneries had issues.
    About 50 whitetails came in the transaction so I've mounted about 30 whitetails, an elk, pronghorn, and two otters with hides from Microtann. Unbelievable results. Their capes save me serious time which = money. Superior tan for a soft superior mount. I have and will post some more bucks and animals I have tanned personally, but am planning for tanning next year to be done by Microtann.... By the way I have spoken to them on the phone and found it to be very pleasant.
    As we all know a good mount starts in the field. Some hides are simply not good and not every cape is perfect from the tannery. I am told from the gentleman I got this business from approximately 1 in 20 capes will have issues that need to be addressed. Shoot, I have more issues myself when tanning and shaving.
    Hope this helps some.. Best, Steve

17. bw

bw New Member

I'll have pictures to show you following this post. Until then, you can read about my experience with Easters Micro Tan in this thread. The more people I have met at shows.....the more bad reports I got. I'm not going to spend time brow beating him, but I suggest you read this thread, and I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. FYI....I have double the number I'm about to post.

I've never posted pictures.....but you asked specifically for them.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/IndustryArticles/04/j/046F99852F.html

18. bw

bw New Member

Sample

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      50.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      56.2 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      48.8 KB
      Views:
  19. bw

bw New Member

More

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      35.5 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
  20. bw

bw New Member

This is the one and only repair they made out of a years worth of capes. By the time they cut out the damage and sewed it back up the face would no longer fit a normally shaped mannikin.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg