1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paint Sticks

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Highwayman, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Highwayman

Highwayman New Member

Hi, guys.

Lately, I've been interested in using paint sticks for scale tipping and touch ups on my fish. Is Shiva Paintstiks the best for this, or do you recommend a different brand?

Also, I'm looking for a place that sells a paint stick color called Antique Gold to tip largemouth bass scales.. I saw it used once and I really like that particular color but can't seem to find it anywhere. If I can't find it, is there a substitute gold color that does the job on the scales?

Thanks, folks.

2. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Personally I would use liquid scales over paint sticks that's just my opinion. I would google paint sticks and see what comes up. Someone else might chime in and give you what you want.

3. Highwayman

Highwayman New Member

Thank you for your reply.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I use Shiva sticks all of the time and love them. I also like the Liquid Scales and there's a time and place for both of them. Don't underestimate the finger-rubs! It's great to hand tip every scale but when building depth oftentimes you can create tipped scales via finger rubs in a fraction of the time it would take to hand tip each scale with a brush. In fact after 13 years in the fish bus I've been relying less and less on the air brush and doing more with my fingers. A while back I painted a Cuda with almost all finger rubs and Shiva Sticks. I use their gold and silver and white a lot. Their gold is probably close to antique gold.

Also, dont discount making your own. Dick Blicks cold waxes mixed with your favorite fine powders is another great finger rub method. I know DougP prefers their consistency better than the Shiva Sticks. Uou just gotta be able to get your hands on powders with ultr-fine flakes to be able to make your own...

5. Highwayman

Highwayman New Member

Great advice. Thank you. I've seen the powers for sale but never really looked into it before. I'll check it out.

6. Highwayman

Highwayman New Member

By the way, has anyone on here painted an entire fish using the Paint Stick technique before?

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Here's a pic of a Cuda I did a few years back. Other than a couple of small areas where I used the air brush, 90% of this fish was done via Shiva Sticks/finger rubs and utilizing steel wool...

Attached Files:

8. Highwayman

Highwayman New Member

That looks amazing! Great job.

9. linder

linder New Member

X'S 2 .