1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yost Bear Tan vs Other Tanneries

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Randy Miller, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Oldtimers and estsablished bear taxidermists, what do you think? Are they gurus of bear tans? And , because I have a hide the customer dorsal cut, are they worth the extra 50% more they charge for that?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

NO! I don't understand why any tannery would charge extra for a cut. My tannery has tanned ventral, dorsal, and even one tube cut bear and the price was the same on all of them. Do you charge your client more if he brings you a bear dorsal instead of ventral? I think it's a tacky gimmick and I wouldn't use any tannery that tried that crap.

3. Randy Miller

Thanx George, I was hoping you would weigh in.

4. What Tannery do you use George?

5. George

I use Carolina.

6. Dorsal cut bears are a lot more work to tan, all through the process, every step. The finishing out is a whole lot harder if they are going to be dry tanned. We say we will charge about $2.00/foot more on dorsals, but seldom make note of it and charge it. Deer capes that are short incision are much simpler in comparison to full cut capes than bears are in comaprison, I believe some tanneries charge more for short incision deer don't they?

It's not hard to understand it George if you've experienced it on a regular basis.

7. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Im with George on this. If you are requesting a dry tanned bear, it might be a little more work, but not that much?

Sometimes you see folks charge more for WET tanned skins, and I cant wrap my brain around that either? Wet tanning cuts your labor costs in 1/2, if they know what they are doing. ??? :eek:

8. Anybody that has actually run a tanning business knows how much more work it is to finish out a dorsal cut, tube legged bear, not to mention the extra time shaving, turning, grooming etc. When you can stake the body of a bear in a machine that runs off air and hydraulics then do the edges on the manual rotary, as opposed to doing the body on a manual rotary then doing legs, neck etc by hand there is a huge difference, same with grooming. Ask anybody that does the books and knows what the bottom line is with the associated labor cost. Feel free to pop in when you have run your tannery for a few years and let us know how it goes. If Yost feels they need to charge that for the dorsal cut bear then they have a reason for it. For anybody that does not have a clue about their business to make statements suggesting they are overcharging for the service, they don't know what they are doing and it's a gimmick is completely out of line. Just simply say, no, I wouldn't pay that much extra in response to the mans question.

9. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even send a mouse skin to Yost if they tanned them for free.

10. Randy Miller

Thanx guys for all the perspectives.I appreciate the opinions.

11. George

Keith, I'm not suggest Yost is "over charging". When I use a tannery, I expect a "service" and simple minded people like me don't need to know how sausage is made or how Congress is run. I just want a bear tanned when I send it in. If one method takes more time, then use that top end cost. That's not my problem, it's the tannery's problems. Charge me by the foot and build that price around the worst case scenario. That's what I have to do. When some numbnuts shoots a 65 pound bear in the chest with a .375 at 25 yards, he doesn't pay any more than the guy who puts a 30-30 round through its chest at 25 yards. It damned sure takes me a whole lot longer to fix the one shot with the bazooka versus the pop gun but for pricing purposes, I've built that into my price list. I wouldn't expect a tannery to be any different. And remember, I"m not a tanner and the terms you use are telling me how you make sausage. I have all my l/s wet tanned anyway and for the life of me, I'm not sure why tanneries shave bear hides the way they do anyway.

12. The shaving of bear hides is mainly to clean up the fat deposits and thin the head and neck areas for better fit to the form. Pickling and tanning processes tend to tighten and thicken the raw hides while curing. The cheeks and neck areas on most bears must be thinned to get the leather to "let out".

I can leave most of the body untouched by the shaving machine if it has been powerwashed correctly and all meat and fat has been removed. That saves cutting hair roots that tend to pop through the leather later. But even a power washing can pull hair through the leather.

I never charged extra for cased bears, tubed legs, etc. I figured my price high enough to cover those bears and look at all flat rug bears as easier work, but it does take more time to flip the leg inside out and vice versa....no debate there.