1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Northern Pike Form

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Fish Head Taxidermy, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Fish Head Taxidermy

Fish Head Taxidermy New Member

Who has the best northern pike form. Matt Thompson or Rinehart?

2. den007

den007 Active Member

They can both work well, although I lean towards Rinehart’s selection. He has more tail down and S-curve. Throat latch often needs alteration by cutting a wedge out of the base. Dan taught me that. They tend to be for pretty hefty, robust fish.

Thompson’s feature I like is the brain ridge. Really helps support those heavy, jiggly heads.

3. Another good option out right now if they have one in the size your looking for is the new "FISH ON" fish mannikins offered by Matuska Supply Company sculpted by Brett Wingfield and Tim Perkins. I believe Pike, walleye and smallmouth are all the bodies they are currently selling and they don't have a ton of sizes yet, but they had some at out state show and they looked really nice!!!! I just ordered some but have not used one yet.

X2 on the brain ridge feature, I like it on the walleyes a lot as well.
    I personally do also prefer the Rinehart pike bodies, but I usually pick the one with the closest measurements in the pose my customer has chosen.

4. squid

squid hunt hard or go home

I would have to say "fish on" by brett wingfield at matuskas is the best form on the market

5. Matuskas fish forms are nice but why don't they use the collar bone to base of tail measurement?? After all, that is what we are replacing.

6. BMW

BMW New Member

Hey guys- Thanks for the compliments on the northern bodies. I haven't been on here in awhile and wanted to address the measurement question from Just Fish. We really debated which measurements to include when we started this project. The only question we had on the collar bone measurement was that some people take the measurement in different places- in front of, in the center of, or in the back of the collarbone where the scales start. We decided to use the center of the eye measurement instead as it seemed to give a more exact and definable measurement. Let us know what you think and if we need to make any changes, we sure will listen. We are going pretty slow with these forms to be certain we get it right the first time so suggestions are appreciated. We are adding 5 more northerns this year and a half dozen musky bodies that we are very excited about. With some minor alteration the muskies can be used for some northerns as well. We are also working on some panfish crappies and bluegill, a few of which will be ready for the fall catalog. Again thanks for the suggestions. We look forward to more feedback!
    Brett

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    To answer the original question, both of them are good. Order the one that best fits the pose and size you are looking for. I have not try ed any from Matuska yet but I am sure they are fine as well. Don't overlook carving your own if you cant' find what you are looking for. 3bears

8. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I add my OWN brain ridge to forms that don't have it. Just cut a length of wire, bend it in a U shape and insert it into the form with hot glue. Works like a charm. Doing big headed fish it really helps.

9. X2. Have done that as well. Either that or just shove wire in thru the eyes and pull it out after the fish dries.