1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking to replace bacteriacide/stoprot

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by naturesmirror, Sep 3, 2012.

1. naturesmirror

naturesmirror New Member

Hey there guys.

I've been looking all over the place for bactericide/stop rot.
    Currently I'm in Western Australia, and my closest supplier is on the other side of the country . So im looking about 60 bucks (not including shipping) for a quart of stop rot. I was wanting to know if there was any other products that you can use to replace it. Like some sort of stuff for cleaning wounds (maybe hydrogen peroxide) or something that gets rid of bacteria? Is there any little tips or tricks that im not sure about?

Thanks for any help

2. I have used denatured alcohol to save capes...

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I've never subscribed to any product "saving capes" per se. If I am the one dragging my feet in getting to a hide or I have a hide that is of questionable handling, Stop Rot is in a class by itself. Denatured alcohol is simply an astringent that locks down the hair and epidermis. Stop Rot does just what the name implies and I can only hope that Glen Conley (may God rest his soul) left sufficient copies of that recipe to continue producing it.

4. bamaboy

bamaboy New Member

any taxidermist that has been in business for a while will tell u that denatured alcohol is a good reserve for stop rot... i use stop rot but have used denatured alcohol as a substitute with no problems... stop rot does seem to work miracles on some doubtful hides though

5. Aluminum sulfate, sets up a mild acidic lever in hide you will ahve to work with your water and figure out the 4 to 5 pH range. This is used in treating drinking water so is probably available

6. naturesmirror

naturesmirror New Member

so after doing a bit of googling, again not sure if this is just a cultural difference, but is denatured alcohol the same as methelated spirits? apparently denatured alcohol is just a bit more concentrated than methelated spirits? Would it still work?

7. Denatured alcohol and methylated spirits are the same thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

8. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Not all denatured alcohols are the same.. "Denaturing" most often refers to making ethyl alcohol (the type found in alcoholic drinks) unpalatable, even poisonous. BUT, denaturing can often refer to other types of alcohol that have been "tainted" so as to discourage consumption.

Stop Rot works on different principles. Do some research on the term "autolysis" While aluminium sulfate and denatured alcohol most definitely help, the compounds do not have the abilities that Stop Rot possess.

[quote author=About.com Chemistry]
    Denatured alcohol is ethanol (ethyl alcohol) that has been made unfit for human consumption by adding another chemical to it. Denaturing refers to removing a property from the alcohol (being able to drink it), not to chemically altering or decomposing it.
    There are hundreds of ways ethanol is denatured. Denatured alcohol that is intended for use as a fuel or solvent typically contains 5% or more methanol. Methanol is flammable and has a boiling point close to that of ethanol. Methanol is absorbed across the skin and is highly toxic, so when I recommend people not use denatured alcohol for making perfume or bath products, my reason is that you usually don't know what has been added to the ethanol. Denatured alcohol for use in cosmetics often contains water and a bittering agent (Bitrex or Aversion which are denatonium benzoate or denatonium saccharide), but other chemicals are sometimes used. Other common additives include (but are not limited to) isopropanol, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, pyridine, benzene, diethyl phthalate, and naphtha. In some countries, denatured alcohol must be colored blue or purple using an aniline dye, in order to distinguish it from consumption-grade ethanol. [/quote]

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2012/03/04/what-is-denatured-alcohol.htm

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cyclone, I love it when you talk dirty. LMAO

Some of you forget that Glen was a microbiologist. He discovered a chemical that retards the self-destruction mechanism inside the mitochondria of the cell. He posted pictures of two eggs that he'd cracked and put in a saucer. One was treated with Stop Rot and the other wasn't. After two weeks, the untreated one looked like........a rotten egg while the other one looked fresh. After one year, the rotted one was brown and dried up but the treated one still looked like an egg. After TWO years, the treated egg was sitll recognizable though dehydrated.

Stop Rot is truly a miraculous chemical that has properties that have never been exploited. It's great for scratches , minor cuts and burns. You can treat a hide with it and DP it and the hide will never shrink like DP alone. Glen ran tests on its healing powers on horses and dogs with phenomenal results. He once confided that were it not for the extended and expensive testing required by the FDA, he'd have submitted it to the medical community.

It is NOTHING like denatured alcohol or alum solutions. They are topical astringents that "lock" the hair and epidermal layers as long as every vestige of flesh has been removed from inside the skin. Stop Rot permeates the skin and stops the decomposition process that leads to epidermal slippage.

The short version of this is you are not going to "replace" Stop Rot with anything. You may find a substitute for the obvious outside composition, but inside the skin is uneffected.

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

when I visited Glen in the hospital back when he first to a spill a few yrs ago, he said that he would even drink if for a sore throat. Said every ingredient was food grade. If I were a betting man, I wouls suspect that it's pretty similar to the same stuff they put in Mcdonald's hamburgers. There was once a study done where a McDonald's hamburger was set on the counter and a yr later was no worse for wear.

11. reddogloki

reddogloki New Member

12. Welcome to the forum from Alaska mate. Take George's advise and get the Stop-Rot. The quart will do many capes and NOTHING ELSE will even come close, and when you have applied it you can rest assured you have given the cape / hide the best treatment you can, short of a mobile cooler / freezer. Wish you the best, Billy,

13. naturesmirror

naturesmirror New Member

Thanks everyone! maybe on my next pay check once ive finished this mount might give me enough moolah to get that 60 dollar quart of stop rot.. urgh..

14. mr useless

mr useless Member

Spain
    it is out of thread but,is then a good idea to use the alcohol bath as a compliment treatment to the skin before apply DP or it would affect negatively the DP action ?