1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tags on taxidermied animals

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by littlewolfpaw, Sep 3, 2012.

  1. Im new to taxidermy and collecting taxidermy and was curious, do you need tags on an already tanned skin or taxidermied animal? Like lets say I buy a taxidermied bob cat, do I need special tags to own that? I dont want to buy an animal and un intentionally do something illegal.
  2. James Marsico

    James Marsico Well-Known Member

    Call or go over to the local game wardens hdqts office and ask for the book of regulations concerning fur bearing animals, trapping and taxidermists for Wisc. Different states have different rules. Bobcats need a Federal CITIES tag to be bought or sold.

  3. Actually you only need a Federal CITIES tag to ship endangered species out of or into the country. When you purchase an endangered pelt or animal, mounted or on the hoof in your state of residence you do not need a CITIES tag. It's CITES (pronounced sight-eez) not cities (large towns where lots of people live). It stands for Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species. Just don't go to a country next door and pick up an endangered animal and try to bring it back to your country with-out a tag. Also you might check with your state Dept. Wildlife to be sure you are conforming with the local regulations. I can ship a Wolf, River Otter or Lynx anywhere in state here in Alaska, BUT if I wan't to ship one to you in the lower 48 or Canada then I would have to pick up and fill out a CITIES tag. They are free, just a lot of paper forms for the exporter. Hope this sheds some light on the subject for all. Wishing everyone a GREAT season, Billy
  4. lizardguts

    lizardguts skull collector

    Also the term is "mounted", taxidermied isn't a word ;)
  5. jockamoe

    jockamoe New Member

    Not completely accurate.You need a cites tag to bring black bear from Canada to USA. not endangered.
    I don't know the details but safe to assume you need paperwork to buy or sell any fur bearing animal.
    Get your info from Government agencies.
  6. James Marsico

    James Marsico Well-Known Member

    fact stated again:
    Bobcats need a Federal CITIES tag to be bought or sold. That goes for lynx also if they are not completely protected in your state, which they well might be. State laws vary but the Federal laws do not. Again, Ask your local game warden for a manual and copy of all the laws concerning taxidermists , fur dealers and game laws before ever getting yourself in trouble. Some states like California are a nightmare of ridiculous laws concerning even old mounted animals. Wyoming has several pages of lawer double talk and game tag regulations concerning taxidermists and fur dealers. Your state might or might not be likewise. Check with your local state! Do not depend on what you read on this site concerning all these regs and laws concerning wildlife.