1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first life-size advice

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Taxidermistjohn, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Ok, so I only have experience working on birds and deer heads. But since I'm relatively new I'm looking to try new things. In the next few weeks I would like to do a small mammal life size mount. What is the best animal to start out on in your opinion? I was thinking about doing a squirrel or a coon simply because I have a plethora of both in the yard and freezer. Any advice from y'all on my first life size? Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. B2L

B2L New Member

IMO squirrels although small are a real pain! I think a coon is pretty easy.. not to much detail on the face..
    good luck
    eric

3. Thanks Eric, I was thinking the same thing those little rascals have alot of detail in their little face.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

A coon may be easier to work because of the abundance of hair, but the squirrel will put hair on your chest. They're easily replaced when you screw it up and when you get to the point of mounting an ACCEPTABLE squirrel, you'll be able to do any of the small game animals.

Try this link.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,89688.0.html

5. Thanks George, your tutorial is great. My only question for you is the lips. Do you tuck them just like you would on a deer or do you glue and pin? I've read that with squirrel eyes you can pin rather than tucking but I haven't found much regarding lips. Also what kinda of thread and stitch pattern is best on a squirrel to hide the seam?

6. What George said!

7. Allie

Allie Member

I agree, with one small discrepancy: mounting squirrels turned the hair on my chest grey!

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Because I use the actual teeth with a bit of the jawbone, I pin the lips into the mouth opening. If you use enough clay, you can close it up so that you can't see anything but the tips of those teeth. That's just the way I do it, however.

9. thanks George, Ill keep that in mind. hopefully i wont screw up too badly, but if I do, its something I can learn from.

10. A squirrel was my first mount ever. I got a DVD and went to town but like everyone else said if you screw up there are lots more out there to get