1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice Hunting Alabama

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by GC424, Sep 5, 2012.

1. GC424

GC424 New Member

I have the opportunity to hunt Babour County Al. this year. I am just wondering what would be the best time to hunt in the south?
    From what I have read the rut is in Jan. but there seems to be allot of hunting pressure in the state. So any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks Greg

2. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    The rut peaks here around Christmas to the first week of Jan. Either try to hunt the first week of season or around the rut. Might even want to consider the five day muzzle loader season. The deer have not been hunted much by then.

Warning though....our rut is never as intense as in other places and our deer (mature bucks) are the most unpredictable and difficult deer to hunt in the country in my opinion! The one thing we have going for us is there are a LOT of deer and if you are not after a 160 class you will probably get one...or two ;D.

If you are hunting public land...........Good Luck..you will need it! Can be very crowded and tough!

3. boss400

boss400 Member

I have hunted Barbour county management area for 10 years you can set your calender for
    Jan 10 for the peak rut to start

4. GC424

GC424 New Member

Thanks It will be barbour wildlife managment area.

5. outdoorsalways

outdoorsalways New Member

I hunt south ala. we have 11k acres the rut can get pretty hot from time to time. I always take vacation the week of Martin Luther king day that's when it starts to get fun. Deer are very vocal in my area. On management land spend a lot of time in the woods from 10-2. The deer pattern the hunters and know when they get down for lunch and naps. Good Luck and post some pics!!!!

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Carry you some skeeter spray, cause when they really start gnawing on you, you'll say the heck with this and let the DEET reek the atmosphere!