1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fixing a torn ear

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Morel Man, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Morel Man

Morel Man New Member

I did my first solo job on my trophy last year. It turned out very well, but the tip of the ear split when I put the insert in. Now, 6 months later, a 1 inch piece of skin has shrunk and curled in that spot. It doesn't look BAD, but my deer mad Buckeye Big Bucks, so I want it to look as good as I can when I take it to the banquet! Any suggestions on how to rehydrate that one spot and glue it back to the ear insert? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Wet a sponge and wring out excess water, wrap it on the ear tip with cling wrap. Hour or so it should be ready to glue back with epoxy adhesive. Very simple.

3. Morel Man

Morel Man New Member

THANK YOU!! That is what I thought about doing, but was afraid it might not work. Great! I'll give it a try!

Scott

4. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

Just curious, would it have been better to have repaired it when it first happened by inverting and stitching it with needle and thread?

5. There are a few ways to have fixed that ear better from the start, sewing would be one of them.