1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A remount in the making.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jim McNamara, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

A client asked me to look at his cat and make recommendations to improve it if possible. As I was about to mount a nice Tom for him I agreed. After picking it up I shampooed it and blew it almost dry to see what it had for a coat and inspect the hidden damages. Once I knew it was re-hydrate able I suggested remounting the cat. The pics show the original mount and the form after getting the hide off. I do not know what the material used to attach the halves is but it was very sticky . You can see the lack of features in the face, no attachment between the tail and body and the hacks where the form was roughly whittled down and never smoothed out. No hide paste anywhere. The earliners were over an inch thick . The ears were very fragile and the feet/toes would not turn out so I could not retract the claws as much as I would have liked. In one picture you can see the bow string used to sew the hide up. I used a change out head done by Aaron Connely to replace the original.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Very Nice Redo Jim

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

Very nice save Jim, I am sure your client will be very happy!

4. Great save.

5. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    Wow, that was one rough looking cat, lol Awesome job on the re-mount, it looks much, much better :)

6. ponyboy

ponyboy Member

That cat looks soo good and I love the rock habitat! Excellent save..

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

it kills me that people actually pick up and accept a mount when its done that looks like that one did originally.....you'd never know it was the same cat....great job jim

8. Jim McNamara

Thank you for your kind comments. Client was very happy to see it on his wall. Anyone know what the strap around the form was?

9. exoticswan

exoticswan Jessy Riley

wow great job jim

a girdle strap lol :)

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Anyone know what the strap around the form was?

Yeah, he shortened the form and screwed it back together and used the strap to help hold it. Common practice used by all masters around the world! LOL

11. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

also noticed the accurate rib detail carved into the form

12. Jim McNamara

Actually the strap or whatever it is was the only thing holding it together.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Excellent Jim!!!

14. great re-mount

15. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I've never tried a remount with original skin before... How do you know if it was tanned or if it will rehydrate and not fall apart?

Also, what kind of price increase do you do for a remount? Do you just add like 30% or so to original mount cost? Or more like 50%?

16. Jim McNamara

Jersey,
    There was an area in the crotch were the seam gapped and I tried hydrating there first. Once I confirmed the hide would be stable I shampooed it. After that and in the process of drying it was when it was decided to remount it. As for cost, at least the same as a mount. I had a form and a tanned skin but had to repair both and replace the head wih a change out. I also charge for the habitat.
    Jim

17. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

thanks!

also, what did you do to rehydrate? submerge in water or just spray and bag to sweat a few days?

Im just curious, never thought about doing a remount using same hide and form..

How did ya get the earliners out of the brittle ears? or were they just not epoxied in i guess?

18. Jim McNamara

Having just shampooed the cat the seams were a bit soft so I just started to separate them and since the skin did not have Any paste it came off pretty readily. I wrapped the head in a wet towel and checked it off. The eyes were set in oil clay as was the mouth and nose. The ears we bondo plus some sort of plastic ear liner, they took some careful loosening and did not hold up as I had hoped. Once the cape was off I sprayed it wet and wrapped it in plastic to get it nice and limber. I kept it in a refrigerator during this time. I did get a bit of swelling in the face and soaked it in salt water to take care of it.

19. coyote4

coyote4 Member

Great job Jim, you are a REAL taxidermist!

20. Beck DeutschWolff

Beck DeutschWolff New Member

Beautiful.....Looks good..