1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2 Fish Skulls, wolf and monkfish

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jean-Christophe, Sep 7, 2012.

1. I did some fish skulls again, learned to place more bones on them.
    A wolf-fish were I added 8 more bones, changed for gel superglue and try to do a better bone placement. I still have to succeed in gills with them...
    Second one is a big monkfish for the shop, twice bigger than those I did last time.

Attached Files:

2. see how twisted is this one. This wasn't noticeable on the fresh head because it's balanced be other bones like premaxilla.

Attached Files:

3. the monkfish

Attached Files:

4. monkfish lateral

Attached Files:

5. monkfish face

Attached Files:

6. monkfish

Attached Files:

7. comparison between the 2 monkfish.
    I should probably place the branchiostegals rays more backward but just a first try on them.

Attached Files:

8. Those are some crazy looking fish. Wish I had some like them.

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I still need to get a big wolf fish. Every one I keep hearing about already got eaten.

10. Wait. you mean to tell me that someone named 'Sea Wolf' doesn't have a decent representation of something called a Wolffish? o_O That's just crazy talk!

11. Really neat!!! Good job!!!

12. Oh yeah, that too, Jean-Christophe... those are absolutely brilliant! Amazing work as always!

13. Thanks all !
    Sea Wolf, I was told that here all wolf fish heads go to be transformed in meat and bone flour. That's a fisher I met in the shop who kept some of their heads for me. Otherwise can you get in touch with fisher like Josh (sidewinder81777) and see if he could trade a next barracuda head ?

14. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

Excellent work as usual. The big monkfish is very cool. I have a similar sized specimen in my freezer, but it still need cleaning.
    Will have a couple of questions about it in my next email ;)

15. Thanks Vkvz. ok. This one is very close to be complete. To bad I don't have one like this to keep.

16. Baccus

Baccus Member

Very cool and well done.

I need to get into fish work. After the summer surrounded by marine critters, it is clear that I need to find some awesome fish skulls like these.

Congrats on a job well done.

17. Thanks Baccus !

18. Finished an other wolf fish and this one is special. Just like some of the mammals showed by fellows, fish also have injuries and cure after.
    My dolphin fish is a "one of a kind" too, because he has serious problems in his jaw. Will show this one later after reassembling.

Attached Files:

19. Here are the maxilla. Broken in the middle then cured. My guess is since the 2 extremity of this bone are strongly hold by ligaments, the "fragile" point is the middle and maybe this wolf fish tried to bite something hard and its own strenght hurt him or the object moved into his mouth because of the bite ?
    Guess welcome ;) ???

Attached Files:

20. Finished skull. Fracture right into the middle.

Attached Files: