1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning squirrels

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by taxidermyfun, Sep 9, 2012.

1. taxidermyfun

taxidermyfun New Member

I have tried tanning two squirrels and I have had both tails slip. I did not split the tails. Oh and it was in the pickle they slipped. The second one I poked a hole in the end of the tail and injected pickle through the tail a few times during the pickle. The pickle ph was right. I guess what I want to know is those that tan there squirrels do you split the tail or do I just need to pump the pickle in more often.

Thanks

2. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

I haven't tanned a whole squirrel yet, but I've probably done a dozen tails, and never had one slip. Mine were all split. But pumping pickle through them more often may help. I just made key chains out of them, wasn't going to bother sewing them back up. I'm a bit interested in what others have to say about it too. I really don't want to have to sew up a whole tail when mounting them, lol.

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Run a cotton string all the way through the tail skin, exiting the tip. Inject and work the pickle through the tail. The string will act as a wick.

4. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

X2 I did this with two greys and it worked well.

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

I cut up from the end of the tail about 1 1/2" and when I put them in my pickle, I run a wire down through the tail and make sure the pickle works through them. I do the same thing with my tan, and have never had one slip. When you say your PH is good, are you checking it AFTER the skins are in and settled for a few hours? Sometimes your PH will come up and that can cause problems.

6. taxidermyfun

taxidermyfun New Member

Thank you all. I will try the string. I check my PH until it stabilizes and then twice more the next day. I have a flying squirrel to do and dont want this one to go bad as it is not mine. Thanks

7. I have done several squirrels but I don't tan...i use dry preservative to do mine. I have never split a tail and simply run a home made tail made of yarn, hide paste and borax. I have never had one slip

8. Just put my first two in the pickle today and I split the tails I would rather be safe and it's not that bad to sew I hope. All the others were DP so we'll see how tanning goes.

9. I've had really good results with Krowtann on squirrels. I skin them as soon as they come in wearing nitrile gloves and apply Stop Rot to kill the bacteria while working on them. They then get washed and degreased before going into the Krowtann. I wrap some knitting string around a thin composit rod and insert that into the tail so the Krowntann will obsorbed into the tail. Results has been great. Never had a problem with the tail.

10. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    No one has mentioned the salting process which may be the beggining of your trouble. I push salt through with a wire, do the same with the pickle, and the tanning agent. Also make sure you have no air trapped. Just had an ear slip because of an air pocket. One would think the pickle would soak through but not always so.