1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Insurance questions- freezer went out

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by topnotch, Sep 12, 2012.

1. topnotch

topnotch Member

well it finally happened after 8 years, i opened a freezer yesterday containing a lot of puddle ducks( woodies, mallards, pintail, wigeon, and a few goldeneye) geese, and pheasants and it was shot, went through all of them today and only spared 4 the rest are all gone,

i do have insurace that covers spoilage and that process has been started.

just wondering if anyone else has delt with spoilage coverage on taxidermy goods, and what you learned from the process that may help me out.

In this business we have a tough value to add to things because they all have a personal story and most people dont want a replacement skin or fish, when that is the trophy, it is a little different with big game where the horns or antlers are the main trophy part and a replacement cape may be a better option.

insurance has stated they dont cover retail, but cover my cost, well how is that defined?

anyone delt with this before on birds and have any pointers.

also may need some good replacement game farm birds, if the customers choose to go that route. any top birds i should look at, dont want second quality replacements.

thanks

Tyler

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Sad to hear of your loss. You are going to have a terrible time finding farm raised birds to meet your needs.

3. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I don't agree on hard to find.......in a few months ducks will be nice and plumed out so the forsale section will be full of pen raised birds. You can go see people already taking orders but the GE's will be the hardest to find. You should be good to go "if" the insurance will cover the replacement costs and your clients want to go that route. Good luck .

4. Triple BB

Triple BB New Member

Let us know how things pan out. Commercial policies can vary greatly in their wording. Not really sure how you place a value on a wild duck. Since they can't be bought or sold. If you're wanting prime grade replacements, the company could balk if there's a big price difference between top grade farm birds and a lower grade bird. Also, unless you'll be doing these mounts for free, I couldn't imagine a customer would say ya I'll pony up $500 for a farm bird over my prized wild pintail. If you don't have enough takers for farm birds, you may not exceed yer deductible. Sounds like a bad deal...

5. Every taxidermist should have a freezer alarm on every freezer.

6. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I know the alarms can help but I had too many of them fail. I talked to a neighbor who owns an appliance store and he told me to use outdoor thermometers for each one. I have some hearing loss as well so could not hear the alarms high pitch siren so the best way for me is the thermometer. Just look at them every time you are around the freezers which is everyday here.

7. jerryn

jerryn Member

Tyler, I had just bought a freezer alarm from Karls in town, i think they are 15.00, i had one go out a while back . Sorry to hear about that

8. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

i had a freezer go out a year or so ago lucky it only had a bunch of extra deer capes , my insurance paid $5000 the maxium i have for spoilage with no questions asked , no one ever even came out, did everything was do over the phone since then i have put alarms on all my freezers and make sure they are working properly ever few days

9. Wouter

Wouter Member

Topnotch, maybe you should post a list of birds that were spoiled, so some friendly colleagues who have some birds to spare can gift you some. A freezer breakdown can happen to all of us, helping you out would be the social thing to do. Unfortunately I live in Europe, so I don't think I can get you any myself.

Wouter

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

wouter...over here you cant use a gifted bird to replace a clients bird...but game farmed birds like woodie,malard,pintail,widgeon......are NOT hard to find...like dux said....a couple months and they will be in nice feather.....

11. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

A taxidermists worst nightmare! I hope things'll work out good for you, especially regarding you clientele.

12. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

X2. Whether they have a chance of failing or not it is still a good precautionary measure. I have had my butt saved many times from a cheap $10.00 alarm. Sometimes a freezer does not get closed well or something falls and causes the door to open and the alarm has worked every time for me.

Todd b

13. topnotch

topnotch Member

thanks for all the replies guys, i havent been on the computer lately.

im still trying to get a settlement from insurance, its been a huge hassle with all of the documents and photos, receipts, tax info, ect. that ive had to send them, still waiting on a settlement. hope this will be the week.

I wanted to hear from insurance before i notified customers, but didnt want to wait any longer.
    thank God i was able to get a hold of all of them on the same day, what are the chances of that.

Most were really good about it, and understood it happens. they are all being compensated very well with returned deposits, free rush service on replacements they harvest, and small gift certificates toward next purchase.

Things like this suck when they happen, but i know that The Lord will continue to provide more work in place of the lost work, just have to move forward and be honest.

The only bird i need replaced is a goldeneye(common) anyone have a game farm bird?

Tyler

14. schenk

schenk Member

Who do ya'll get insurance from and what policy is it?
    I am not running a big shop, just getting going. 3rd year coming up. I have 2 freezers, which I check daily. But, crap happens. I do go on vacation for a short time, and that would be a time it would crap out.

15. topnotch

topnotch Member

i have american family insurance

i would think most would carry some sort of spoilage policy, just make sure you go over all the details before purchasing.

still waiting on mine

16. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

BIG ISSUE WITH INSURANCE COVERAGE. Did they know that these were for others? Do they know of a business operation? if not you can bet there is something in the policy that exempts the coverage. Close friend told agent he was a hobbist (not taxidermy) and the agent KNEW and TOLD him to say hobbiest to keep the rates down and not have to do business policy. Predictably, a fire wipes him out. Policy refuses to cover ANYTHING, even the building because it was a business enterprize.

17. topnotch

topnotch Member

UPdate:

Insurance came through with a fair settlement on my birthday, nov 5
    it was nice to have the headache over with as it was drug out forever and took me a lot of time explaning and putting figures together.

It was definately worth it in the end.

All of my customers were treated very well, (before the settlement) because i couldnt wait any longer.

It all worked out in the end, but hopefully this can be a lesson to me as well as others to keep alarms and thermometers in freezers and have someone check them if you are aways for a few days.

Tyler

18. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

I too have just had a freezer go out, ive lost 150 clients birds, everything from Kingfishers, Goshawks, Coopers hawk, Red tailed, Common Buzzards and shite loads of game and wildfowl. Also an Otter, litter of Red squirrel pups and spare capes,, Im not insured so its a real lesson learnt, ive also got an infection resulting in blood poisoning tracking up my arm, spent the day in hospital all from cleaning out the hot red jelly in the bottom. NOT A GOOD WEEK.