1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cheapest way to seal plywood base for coffee table?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm just now finishing up a 30 lb. pedestal musky going after a yellow perch. I'll mount it to driftwood at two contact points attached to a 1/2 inch plywood base and habitat, and the customer will pick it up that way and build his coffee table to fit.

What would be the most effective way to seal the plywood before I apply a sand/Elmers glue mix? Orange shellac, some kind of paint? I know some things that would definitely work but I want to hear from others what they would prefer from experience.

I know from experience the plywood will warp if I don't seal it. I know I could probably use a resin/sand mix but I don't want to work with resin if I don't have to.

Thoughts?

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

I would've use OSB if you can, it doesn't warp like plywood even if it gets alittle moisture on it. It will swell at times, but it takes alot of moisture to do so. I would seal it up with a clear urethane, that is what I use on all my base tops before I add my dirt/glue mixes.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks Matt!

I've never had to worry about this before as the bases were always already in the coffee table or they in the frame of a base. However I was in for a rude awakening when I added my Elmer's Glue/Sand mix to a base with just the wood base and wo did that baby warp! This will be the same situation.

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

Plywood is notorious for it, and that is why my wood guy will not use it in anything he builds. I can actually seal the OSB with elmers glue and not worry about it warping on me if I wanted to. Try that with plywood and see what happens. Just to be on the safe side, I seal everything with the urethane. I haven't had any issue with it yet, knock on wood!(LOL)

5. Wood sealer works perfectly. Just brush on a couple coats, or you could coat with polyester resin. Shellac works fine, varnish will work but it will take several coats.

I would go with the sealer or shellac. Shellac will take a couple coats, cut it with denatured alcohol the first couple coats 30%. then two coats full strngth.

6. Sikk

Sikk Member

I have used thomsons water seal on outdoor wood projects, its very cheap, not sure how it would affect the adhesion of the glue though. paul

7. dustin skinner

dustin skinner New Member

I use to build custom kitchen cabinets and I would use a sealer caled sand-n-seal its takes two coats but it's the best

8. TR

TR Member

I also use to build cabinets and agree with dustin skinner
    Sanding sealer works the best. You can buy it in a spray can but must use it with plenty of ventilation or use epoxy resin which is non flameable.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Again thank you gentlemen!

10. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

2 coats of shellac to both sides....that's it. JL