1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Polytranspar vs. Life Tone

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by esmith3102, May 4, 2007.

1. esmith3102

esmith3102 New Member

I am looking at getting some new paint. I am wondering if these 2 companies are pretty comparable or if one has better qualities than the other. I am going to be getting Laquer. I have some water base stuff now and i am tired of messing with it. It just doesnt pray as nice as i was hoping it would. Any help or info on what to expect with each would be great. Have a great day!!

2. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Hey ES!

I will tell you I have been using both for over 20 years and they are both great. You'll find that they have some of the same colors but there are some diffrent ones as well. Here is a few thoughts and a list of colors I like to use.
    Paint
    Life tone
    LT201-8 Rich Brown
    LT202-8 Burnt Sienna
    LT203-8 Dark Brown
    LT205-8 Cocoa Brown
    LT353-8 Transp. Amber Oxide
    LT500-8 Gold Toner
    LT302-8 Golden Yellow
    LT701-8 Off-White
    LT453-8 Transp. Dk. Green

LT974-8 Chrome
    LT952-8 Violet Pearlescent
    LT953-8 Blue Pearlescent
    LT975-8 Chrome Pearlescent
    LT932-8 Gold Pearl
    LT171-8 Candy Gill Red
    LT672-8 Candy Payne's Grey
    LT101-8 Gill Red
    LT871-8 Candy Vivid Orange
    Paint
    Polytranspar
    FP60 -8 Lt. Bass & Trout Gr.
    FP62 -8 Dark Bass & Trout Gr.
    FP72 -8 Sahara Tan
    FP64 -8 Scale Detail Green
    FP65 -8 Scale Detail Black

I hope this may help!

My BEst!

Rick Krane

3. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    Kind of trivial, but I hate the caps on polytranspar bottles! What a mess. Both good paints though.

4. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

I use PT waterbase, and I have about 6 different lifetone paints. The lifetone seem to spray way nicer....is it because they are not water base????

5. Its not a matter of this paint verse that paint. Its how you learn to use the product that counts. There are a few colors that the other don't have but they all work, just allow them to dry before adding the other b rand.

6. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I like both but have to say Polytranspar is what I feel, I do better work with.

7. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I've been using both brands for years and years. I like them both. I now use 99 percent of the time lifetone hydromist.

8. Jesse M

Jesse M "it is what it is"

I've used both and and like both. I do use mostly lifetones lacquer because I am a short drive from the Rinehart supply company and don't have to pay shipping. Either one will do the job though.

9. Mike A

Mike A New Member

We use both and have great results.

10. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

I'm going to have to give Lifetone a slight edge over Polytranspar for color and opacity consistency and also just overall ease of use and "smoothness". You cannot go wrong with either- they are both super high quality.