1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2012 wisconsin bear season!!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bigrubs07, Sep 14, 2012.

1. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

Hows the bear season so far for everyone in Wisconsin, Numbers are down in my area, maybe now with cooler weather things will pick up. The biggest I have in so far is a 440# , nice big boar!

2. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

my bud scotty dropped one in shawano area that dressed at 340.Up by Hurley my guys clients have seen a few smaller bear,nothing worth while to shoot.Taking the dogs up this wknd

3. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I'm getting a decent amount in but all average bears 140-200. Hunting is rough tho. I got a tag for C and had 24 diff bear at 3 baits. Mid aug one over 500 lbs, one over 400 lbs, and 2 around 300-350 and a handful of 200 lbers, rest little and only one sow with 3 cubs. Acrons are insaine right now where I'm hunting so the baits went kinda dead. The big boys disapeared and the 2 300-350s show up occasionally. Had the one 300-350 sow show up monday night before dark but I didnt hunt. Baits are getting hit super random and usually after dark. The one bait was destroyed the other night though and the 2 big boys are the only ones who have done that so far so I hope they start finding their way back to the baits regularly. The 400+ was done for if season had opened by aug 24th. He was there every night between 530 and 730. 500+ was coming during the day too but more randomly. Hope things turn around in the next couple weeks too and they clean up some acorns and get back on the bait. I'd love to see how big those 2 are now. They gotta be puttin on a ton of weight with all the food around in the last 4 weeks.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Well crap Kyle that is where all my bears went to this year. I hunted the first week of the season here in MN and saw 0 not even any night raiders. I only had time for the first week so I am most likely done for the season, oh well back to work. 3bears

5. I got a big boy coming in, in mn but can't seem to get him to switch to daytime feeding. He only comes at night so far. I had a 150lb in the back yard last night that I has the crosshairs on but opted to wait and see what happens the next few weeks with the big boy. Nothing like doing dishes and looking out the window and seeing a bear, no matter how small.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

6. Have taken in two over 400 so far. Had one guy from Madison stop in, had one over 500 but took it with him back to Madison. I am close to you , butternut. The 400 # brought to me today was taken up by Mercer.

7. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Try a mega jug of cherry koolaid. Throw it up in the trees and wet some down on the baits. That has been the ticket lately for getting them to come check the baits out again. I havent seen a legal bear all season except for the one my cam got the night i didnt hunt and 2 nights ago the 200 lber which I wouldnt shoot that came in 8 min after I left stand. Gonna give em a break and try to it it again in a week or 2. good luck bear guys

8. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

Been a tough year for sure. Not because of lack of bear. We have tons of bear in WI. As already said acorns are unbelieveable this year along with hazlenuts and usually win over bait. We always switch our baits over to more natural stuff such as corn, apples, granola by the end of Aug. Cooler weather doesnt help much this year. Friend of mine already found a bear that is going in and out of his den. Now with bow and grouse hunters in the woods bear get even more leary about visiting baits. But bear do have beautiful coats right now if you get lucky.