1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Getting hair to lay down on cape?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by nelliott6151, Sep 15, 2012.

1. nelliott6151

nelliott6151 New Member

Sorry guys new to the forum so not sure if this is in the correct section. Anyhow I picked up last years buck yesterday and there are some spots on the cape that the hair sticks up. It had a really nice cape on it and didn't have any spots like this. I was told by the taxi that it happens during tanning sometimes. Im not a taxi so I have no idea about any of this stuff. My question for you guys is there any way to get these spots to lay down and how do I go about doing it? Other than that Im really pleased with the mount just those spots are going to annoy me I guess more than anything.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Re: Re: Getting hair to lay down on cape?

You could use a lil hair gel or hair spray to get it to lay down pin a piece of card board or coke box over it after you spray it but that's not from tanning looks like he got it on to big of a form

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. Re: Re: Getting hair to lay down on cape?

You could use a lil hair gel or hair spray to get it to lay down pin a piece of card board or coke box over it after you spray it

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. nelliott6151

nelliott6151 New Member

Re: Re: Getting hair to lay down on cape?

Oh well that's nice....Thanks for the tip I'll give it a try tomm hopefully. If that doesn't work I suppose im sol?

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

This is what I use....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ampro-Pro-Styl-Ultra-Hold-Clear-Ice-Styling-Gel-6-oz/10451843

Just rub it on...no carding necessary. Re-apply after a day or two if the hair stands back up. It is water soluble, and will brush out after it dries when your hair is set as you like.

6. nelliott6151

nelliott6151 New Member

Re: Re: Re: Getting hair to lay down on cape?

Awesome! Thanks guys.

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

Well, being that the actual root of the hair is dry in the skin, along with the skin being dry, it would have to be re-hydrated for anything to lay down. That is just if you have some unruly hair. Those look like "hot" spots to me.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Off subject a bit, but I do hope you aren't keeping that mount where that picture was taken unless you plan some serious finishing work quickly. A concrete floor, an uninsulated ceiling and apenite walls are an open invitation to lots of things and none of them good for your mount. The "wild hair" may end up being the least of your problems .

9. nelliott6151

nelliott6151 New Member

[​IMG]

Nope....not a taxi but not completely dumb. ;) Thanks for looking out though. I took that when I got home with it just for an eye level pic.

10. nelliott6151

nelliott6151 New Member

Sent you a pm

11. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I had a similar issue on a few of my first mounts. I see two things here...maybe three. The first thing I noticed was the left side of his neck where it looks as the taxidermist probably dremeled too much detail into the form before mounting it. What some do is press the hide into those detail areas and then brad nail it so it doesn't "drum" or not stay inside of the dremeled area. That will cause a calic look and cause the hair to stand up. The next thing I see is above the left shoulder where the dark lines and visible grey colored area is. In my opinion this is where the taxidermist had sewn a hole improperly, resulting in the visibility of severed hair follicles. Typicall when sewing holes you make a football type incision, removing all the severed hairs around the hole. Then when you sew the hole up it pulls all of the good remaining hair together and makes the hole virtually unnoticeable. Now dark lines on a mount typically occur when the hide is not "taxied" in place properly, and with what looks like sewn up damage next to it I believe that he removed a large portion of damaged hide and when he sewed it back up the hair/hide was not allowed to lay in its proper position, creating the dark line that I see.

I experienced this a few times when I began, and sometimes it is inevitible if you are working with a badly damaged hide. Other times deer just have calics and you have to doyour best to try and get that hair to lay down. I typically spray the hir with water to soak it, then apply gel. After that I take a piece of that black plastic window screen and pin that over the area to hold the hair down. This will work better on a late season buck, whereas yours seems to have been harvested earlier in the year by the length of the hair in the pics.

12. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

George, you should explain to these guys what you are talking about.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

As Matt suggested, the hair roots needs to be hydrated, add hair gel deeply all the way to the skin, lightly wipe the top surface of hair with a wet paper towel to remove the gel from the surface only, you want the gel inside the hair. Pin the area level with window screen, let dry for two or three days. Removing the gel from the surface will insure that the window screen doesn't stick to the hair because of excess dried crusty gel. This is a cosmetic repair only, the hair is damaged forever, it could have been done during the tanning process, or the early stages of slip from bacteria. I have seen these spots appear before my eyes, prep a perfect cape one day after tanning, fridge it over night, mount it the next day, and tah-dah! There it is,, where did it come from? It happens.

14. found this old thread. I'm having kinda the same issue. Mine is by the lips of the mount. What do you use to pin the screen down??

15. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Use straight pins , but see your original post . I answered all of your concerns