1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird of the Week Sept. 17 2012

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by MRN, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Hello Everyone. Well it's my week to start another great week of birds. Thanks Matt for asking me to host! My name is Mike Nakielski and I've been mounting birds since 1991 at the ripe old age of 10. I entered my 1st competition at age 14 and competed at least once a year since. I enjoy all aspects of taxidermy but I enjoy doing birds the most by far. Last year I had the great opportunity to get my first judging job at the Minnesota Show. It was an awesome experience and a great show. I had 82 birds to judge!

I'm always looking for new innovations in bird taxidermy and like most of you I love to give and receive advice with others to make the art even better.

Well enough about me, lets see some birds guys and gals! I don't have anything new, so Ill post a rerun. This is my personal favorite to date.

Thanks again Matt for having me host. It was nice talking to you the other day, and I'm relieved your healing well!
    Mike
    [​IMG]

2. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Beautiful woodies !

3. Sweet Artistic mount Mike, one I really admired and enjoyed seeing at the Iowa Show!

A mount pic I received from Page Nethercutt on our Scenic Wall Plaque - Wetland 1. I really like how Page put this one together. Page, not sure if you check out BOTW but thanks much for sharing this pic and your artistic talents!!

[​IMG]

4. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

MRN,

I will be "attempting" to borrow that idea with a flock of GWteal come season. If you have any helpful hints feel free to PM me ;)

This week has started with GREAT work so keep it coming.

5. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Neat Woodies for sure

Here is a itty bitty salted skin from Africa, arghhhh..... African Rosey Bee Eater

[​IMG]

6. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Great start! I haven't been on here in a few weeks, just started a new job 2 weeks ago.... Here's a couple....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. wings II

wings II New Member

Great start to the week Mike! :) (I hope you show that gadwall piece as well...one of my all time favorites.) Chris, glad to see you posting up. Jeremy, excellent as always. A special shout out to Ryan - I see that you made the trip safely. I'm very glad to see you are settled in and knocking them out, great mounts as always.

A word to the beginners: This thread is critique free and we hope that you will post your work as well. - Thanks - Matt

8. Jorlan

Jorlan New Member

Mike, I never thought a flying Woddy could be so nice. Also, beautiful wigeon; and nice mounts all-around.

[​IMG]

9. Nice woodies MRN, got to see them up close
    one word
    AMAZING

Attached Files:

10. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Wow Mike,
    that is a hammer for a start, absolut fantastic woodies and also fantastic mounts of everyone else.
    So, I am thinking about not to post my bird of the week, because it has to stand far behind the others.
    Welcome back KMA, nice to get feedbacks from you again.
    And here it is my bird this week, did not see it very often, a common shelduck. Go on posting, Rainer.

Attached Files:

11. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Gambel's

Attached Files:

12. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Thanks KMA, glad to see you backon the forums! Mounting anything yet? Great work everyone, that shelduck is cool!!!

13. JBird

JBird Member

I've been so burried that I can barely see straight - I'm very sad that I haven't been able to visit or post on this forum recently - but want to say FANTASTIC job to everyone here - MRN that is the BEST flying woody mount I've ever seen - exquisite - WOW

Jeromy - I got your message - I'm a terrible person for not calling you back - sorry man - you did a fantastic job on the bee eater - I can get you the measurements on the hornbill when you're ready - doesn't look like you need any rehydrating tips as it is but still happy to discuss it with you - great job

glass- love the flying quail -

Matt - THANK GOODNESS you're ok and back on - everyone has missed you - I hope you're doing well - I've seen all the outpooring of love and support and hope you realize how much of an impact you've had on everyone here and I'm sure everywhere else in your life - what a great compliment to a well lived life -

Great week (and last week - I was very dissapointed I couldn't participate during falcos week - as I'm one of his biggest fans) I'm actually still so busy that I don't even have time to spell check - (how embarassing that my terrible spelling has been exposed)

Looking forward to seeing more great work from everyone

J

14. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I inadvertently posted this in the last BOW so am posting here as well. The woodie piece is really well done!

[​IMG]

15. babak

babak Active Member

wow!!!great mounts my friends, really great mounts every body!!!

16. Samson

Samson New Member

another woodcock, feet were shot off and belly feather's missing = -----------> a lot to repair on it ;D

Greetings, Karin

Attached Files:

17. snowhare

snowhare New Member

Samson

Nice Woodcock there , but did you no that they cant hold the head like this , it is always under a strange angle due to the attachment of the neck to the skull, it must fase down more , you no what i mean ok

Snow

18. babak

babak Active Member

karin very nice woodcocks you're doing,keep good job!

19. Samson

Samson New Member

i know Snowhare it is bad mounted, but the customer wanted it like this. he brought me a picture from an old mound from his granddad and said: I will have a mount like this, because my grandfather's looked the same. (he lost the mount through a fire)
    what can i do? ::) customer happy= me happy ;D
    and the last Woodcock this season---->

Greetings, Karin

Attached Files:

20. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Great to see your back Matt. Nice work by all.

Some Redheads and a pinner for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]