1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

worms

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by clewis, Sep 18, 2012.

1. clewis

clewis New Member

I have skinned thousands of birds in my life time. The other day, while skinning an Erkels Francolin I discovered pin worm type worms in both eye orbits. I collected them and took them to fish and game for analysis. I was told they were common and not to worry - well, they are not common for me. A quick check on google for worms in birds primarily focused on the alimentary canal - not eyes. Worms also migrate throughout the body, but I wanted to know what they were. Then, when skinning a pheasant from the same area, pin worms again showed up in the eye orbit. Anyone experience a similiar thing. Any parasitologists out there?

2. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

nematoad worm's. dunno if it is spelt right ;D but i know they are a parasetic worm. found in mammal's. birds ::) also ''maybe.

3. Aha, a question that being in vet school equips me to answer! Sounds like Thelazia, a nematode that likes to live in the space between the eye and the eyelid. They're usually spread by flies that feed on tears, and human infection is pretty rare. I actually didn't know they could infect birds until I looked it up just now, it's not even mentioned in my avian medicine book. We learned about them as a problem affecting cows and horses.

4. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

Kind of off subject, but I remember reading this quote about nematodes when I was in college and thinking it was completely mind blowing!

"In short, if all the matter in the universe except the nematodes were swept away, our world would still be dimly recognizable, and if, as disembodied spirits, we could then investigate it, we should find its mountains, hills, vales, rivers, lakes, and oceans represented by a film of nematodes. The location of towns would be decipherable, since for every massing of human beings there would be a corresponding massing of certain nematodes. Trees would still stand in ghostly rows representing our streets and highways. The location of the various plants and animals would still be decipherable, and, had we sufficient knowledge, in many cases even their species could be determined by an examination of their erstwhile nematode parasites."