1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

blast from the past

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ljones, Sep 18, 2012.

1. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

i had a client pick up a deer mount yesterday , he said he had a deer i did for his dad back in 1979 he want me to touch up , here it is, although it has some major skin adjustment problems with ear butts ,eyes and nose , i thought it has held up pretty good to be a 33 year old mount, i think it on a van dykes form with there famous blue glint eyes , it was done with straight dry preserve an amazingly had no cracking or hair discoloration ,it makes me wonder if all this tanning hype is worth the trouble or not??? at the time this mount was done the only taxidermy experience i had was from i had learned from the good old JW Elwood northwestern school of taxidermy mail order course , after that all the state associations started springing up during the 80's and joined the one in my state was able to improved my work from there

[​IMG]

2. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    That looks better than the stuff a lot of guys send out th door :D

3. The hide looks good. I thought it was one of them old Mckenzie forms..it was hard to learn back then .i also started with JW Elwood .then a friend gave me the Sam Touchtone course . It sure is easy to learn now, but you still have to have the artistic talent. Thanks for sharing

4. linder

linder New Member

Looks good to me ,1979 I to have seen some deer that were done a lot latter than this one that do not look that good.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The mount probably had good care, kept in a clean climate controlled house. That makes a difference vs. a mount kept in a garage or soggy basement.

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

X2!

7. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

normally i would have been embarrassed to show anything i mounted from that long ago , i must have done something right on the day i mounted this one for it to have held up this well ;D and like lowt said it has bound to have been taken good care of over the past 33 years

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Looks damn good!! :)