1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2012-2013 Bird Hunting Thread....

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Tim McLagan, Sep 20, 2012.

1. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

I hear you on the diver hunting. Horizontal snow and leaky waders. Hands frozen solid. Clouds of bluebills trading up and down the lake. Gimme, gimme.

2. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

I guess the scaup counts were right. Holy smokes! First group in was 200 birds. One shot from the 410 with 6s and we had 4 dead scaup.
    Worked with the boys in identifying drakes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checked this spot yesterday and there was about 300 divers in an absolute feeding frenzy in about a 30 yard area. I've seen this before and I guess they are feeding on the water fleas. Every decoy was covered.
    [​IMG]

3. mcrib1981

mcrib1981 New Member

from November 24th... the teal were ready to decoy, should have killed more than we got, shootin' was a little rusty I guess. we had to leave the birds flyin', the tide was rushing out and leaving us sittin' on a mud flat... still had an awesome time though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

got this old male, banded mute swan, the biggest I have ever had

Rainer

Attached Files:

5. babak

babak Active Member

WOW!!rainer ,i wish i had one of them in my studio!!!fascinating!grace looks really nice there!

6. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Hi Babak,
    yes Grace was it ( the left dog, 2 years old and 23 kg weight ) she retrieved that monster threw dead water plants on a distance of ca. 35 meters and it was her first swan, so she did a great job and my wife and me were very happy that she did,

Rainer.

7. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    third time out after our split. fist day was to windy to get where we wanted. second day had 12 in 45 minutes but the phone died for pictures. day 3 ended up being a bit more picky and not so many buffies. I love Lake Erie layout shooting
    [​IMG]

8. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Hey fowlweatherfowler, you got everything I would like to get, you are a lucky guy, love the buffies,
    Rainer.

9. fowlweatherfowler

NW Ohio
    Thanks we tried for a all drake buffie shoot but they came in so tight together and fast the hens got in the way knocking more than one down. Im just glad I have good friends, we got together and put together a nice layout shooting rig

10. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Love the Swan that is one hell of a bird.The pics in this thread make me want to go out just need to get some decoys first. Love this thread....

Question has anyone used The Circut Judge for duck or qoose hunting. Wanting to pick one up and want to know if it is worth it?

11. fowlweatherfowler

NW Ohio
    hunted a dense fog this morning. At times lost sight of the last decoy on the diver line 30 yards out

[​IMG]

12. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

My left coast seaduck huntin buddy came back to texas for another drake extraction adventure.

Always have a great time with brad. If he's not hunting ducks, he's mounting them, raising them, or learning about them.

It's fun hunting with him because we both love shootin drakes.

Day one the weather was right and we had a pretty good mixed bag shoot.
    Terrible light for pics but all smiles from the boys.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brady got his first can.
    [​IMG]

Chance cheezed with the bonus birds.
    [​IMG]

My boys love "mr brad" and are buggin me to go back to The pacific nw when I go in jan.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

With temps breaking 80 I knew the geese would be comin to a waterhole off our wheat field. So we went and madeem pay rent for all the wheat they eat.
    [​IMG]

Ended up with a pile
    [​IMG]

And a bonus
    [​IMG]

Snow banded in 2000. Brad must be good luck. 4 bands with him on 9 days of hunting.
    Assembly line set up....
    [​IMG]

Pit Rollin...
    [​IMG]

And halibut in a hot black skillet
    [​IMG]

14. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Day two and on to my favorite widgeon hole. Pretty solid action.
    [​IMG]

Brady shot 4 of his birds out of the air with his 410 and scratched out a pretty limit.
    [​IMG]

Left one bird for each of us on our limit cause we were headin south to target mottleds. Less than our after getting to the coast and we had our 4 mottleds.
    [​IMG]

Next morning we set up on the decs and had our pick of mottleds cupped up.
    [​IMG]

Even got a surprise Mexican mallard.
    [​IMG]

15. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Brad got to experience the worst days to hunt here.....the 2 days after the front. The front took a couple hundred redheads and wigeon and replaced them with a couple mallards and a few teal. First hunt we've called without limits.
    [​IMG]

That's ok, went out in the afternoon and finished up and got a few bonus specs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wrapped up the last day with a typical central texas mixed bag.
    [​IMG]

Brad left with an ice chest full of stuff to keep him busy till next yr.
    [​IMG]

16. mcrib1981

mcrib1981 New Member

man you guys make me jealous... birds have been few and far between (except the woodies) here in coastal South Carolina. hoping things will pick up though

17. wings II

wings II New Member

Great Pics Todd, but I don't think you are getting out hunting enough. ;D

Here's some pics from my one and only stinkin' hunt this year...and it was on a delivery of mounts to an Outfitter.
    70 degree temps and shooting limits of cacklers in long sleeves...weird, unseasonable weather, but still enjoyable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. SVincent84

SVincent84 New Member

got these on the second day of the second spilt on the bayou, My first year hunting ducks, had nothing but a perouge and bayou to hunt on :p so I was pritty happy, would have been nice to see something other than woodies thou :'(...

Attached Files:

19. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

I forget how greatl it shoots with the Winchester hi velocity steel 6's.
    [​IMG]

Big drake and the hen will wrap up my log mount.

20. I love this thread and think that it is absolutely wonderful and awesome to get kids involved with hunting and teaching them gun safety! I tip my hats to all of you parents out there who make the time to go!