1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2012-2013 Bird Hunting Thread....

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Tim McLagan, Sep 20, 2012.

1. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Yes!!!!! Especially wigeon. I have 4 freezers full. I hunt with three guys that are taxidermist too. Thank goodness for snow geese or I wouldn't have much meat.

2. Of course I'm not the only one. That's the reason I hunt much less now, because you can't keep them all, although you feel the need. I think we all have a little bit of that obsessive collector quality in us? Some call it being a bird whore, I call it shameful not to save that beautiful skin and try and recreate what nature seems to do all too well!

Keep up the great work! Introducing kids and family to the sport, shooting those drakes like you do, and the taxidermy you put out!

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

if your shooting them yourself and they are fresh...isnt it a waste not to breast them out...they are still 101 % mountable....if I shoot it..I,m gonna eat it...even if I mount it as well...good lesson for the kids too...

4. vincer

vincer New Member

Great winter pheasant hunt on Pelee Island

Attached Files:

5. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

I don't on birds that others are taking or that I'm gifting. A lotta guys want the bodies for measurements. The 1000+ snow geese we'll shoot this month will hold me over for the year.

6. Redneck Express

Redneck Express New Member

mn
    wat do you do with your snow geese just leave as breasts or do you grind them up? I ground all of 2012 ducks/ heese up and use them were ever you'd use hamburger.

7. WayneP

WayneP New Member

Mixed hunt.

Attached Files:

8. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Dude, thats allot of Birds Congrats.. thats whacking and stacking em.. Ohh, hey you have any Canvasbacks to gift?: Like 4 or 5? LOL.. J/K..

Hoytman

9. The best looking drake that I have ever shot.

Attached Files:

10. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

We just got back from a guided snow goose hunt in NW Missouri. We had 7 hunters in our group. The first day we shot 104 geese, the second day 72 and the last day 4 where we only hunted until noon.
    I think we got the tail end of the migration for that area. We shot quite a few Ross geese and juvenile snows.
    It was hard leaving the warm weather. On Friday noon when we left it was 77 and when it got into town it was 22 and snowing.

Attached Files:

11. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

3-14-13

Attached Files:

12. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

We either:
    1. Mix 50/50 with whole brisket td and grind into burger. Makes exceptional burger except for the steel shot! I have one broken molar from #6 steel.
    2. Mix 60/40 pork to goose and make a green onion, garlic, smoked andouille sausage. C'est bonne!

13. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Wrapped the yr up with a trip to wingshooters lodge in obregon , mx. I almost could just quit hunting at home and make this trip every yr.
    [​IMG]

Know ur with a bunch of taxidermist when there's more birds inside the vehicle than out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ross got a pintail that would make an oldsquaw blush.
    [​IMG]

Unique black belly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Few bonus birds.
    [​IMG]

14. Here are a few from Alberta. I did a bunch of guiding so not a whole lot of hunting for myself. We had an early freeze in my area so we shut down early.
    Dog's first Canada retrieve. He had brought back a bunch of ducks already but this one kinda made him take a second look.
    [​IMG]
    Same hunt as above. We had 4 hunters and shot 32 ducks and 24 Canada's. This was the opening morning shoot. We could have shot the other 8 Canada's as well but shut down to go to 1 shooter at a time hoping to get some video that was somewhat predictable.
    [​IMG]
    A water shoot we did with clients from California. That slough was ugly and the one client had very bad knees. He was a real trooper and got out there and we had a blast.
    [​IMG]

I'll go thru my pics and see if I can get some more onto photobucket in the next little while.

16. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

wow brazosboyt, those are fantastic looking ducks, must be a pleasure to work with
    Here are some photos from my hunting training trip to Croatia with my wife and my pointing dogs Angie, Grae (Irish Red Setters) and Ullys (Gordon Setter) for pheasant, grey and red-legged partidge. Last year at the same time we have had sun, sun and sun and temperatures of 20 degrees Celsius, this year we have got snow, snow and snow and temperatures of -2 degrees Celsius but it was ok and better than rain like 2 days before we arrived. We got about 100 pheasants, 3 grey and one red-legged partidge with 5 hunters. I think we will go there again in the end of October, then we can get woodcock and quails too.

Rainer.

Attached Files:

17. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Angie

Attached Files:

18. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Grace

Attached Files:

19. rai_red

rai_red Active Member