1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

son of a flippin.............

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by hounddoggy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

finally get a shot at the buck i planned to do my first life size mount on 3 minutes before dark and a frippin twig messed it up!!! my 42 year old eyes are junk and i HAVE TO go to eye doc hope you guys and gals are doing well MISSING SUX

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I had excellent vision as a young man...I could read a road sign way before anyone else could! I just knew I'd have 20:20 vision til the day I died, and I would have if I'd died when I was 42! Sorry about your miss...you'll make more of them as you age, LOL!

3. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

HAHAHA HEY JOEY me and the aging proccess is working out great for the deer! i should spend more time in the shop that way i can see some big bucks up close and not blurry!! hahaha hope youre doing well!!

4. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

Don't feel bad, hubby has had the same thing happen several times! One little twig he can't see, and he's only 31! Hope you get another shot at him.

5. jbconnected

jbconnected Member

Hate to hear about the miss. Must be something about the age of 42. I had to get reading glasses a couple of weeks ago. But I can't wear them for distance, they make things blurry. I sure miss my perfect vision. I hate to wear glasses.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Wait til you are 66. I missed a big 8 point last week. Right before dark, I had ranged my shooting lanes, he was eating acorns when he stepped behind a huge oak tree I knew to be 35 yards, and I came to draw. I promptly put my 40 yard pin high in his back and released the arrow. The Firenok glowed brightly as it stuck into the ground behind his front feet. Now why I was shooting at a 40 yard deer using a 35 yard gauge makes no sense to me now but it seemed OK at that moment. Sometimes misses are more memorable than hits.

7. George , isn't that the gospel truth. I remember ever single on and still want to just cry over a few of them. 150 + class 15/20 yards and nothing but dirt. Most with stories that no one believes, the kind that the listener is looking at you and thinking (He's so full of chit)

8. wright

wright Timothy Wright

well that sucks for sure, but at least it was a miss and not a gut shot or cripple,, he will be back

9. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

NEVER Start thinkin about what you are going to do with the deer after you kill it before the shot....

It has been proven many times...by me... that you will miss! lol

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I had a buck of a lifetime, a big 11 point at 18 yards. Everything was perfect. Was horrified when three yards before the buck a branch danced and my arrow changed flight. Passed under him and without otherwise reacting he actually stepped back and smelled the arrow that passed under his belly. He walked away looking back confused as I futilely attempted another shot. I got down and looked for blood. Found nothing but a pile of white belly hair laying among a huge set of tracks. I put the beautiful hair in a baggie for a consolation prize, keep it still today. Without exaggeration I feel he grossed near 150.

11. Three years ago I missed a 185 inch typical two nights in a row from the same stand. He was eating apples under a tree and I shot over him both times. I think he ducked the arrow - at least that is what I keep telling myself.

Bruce

12. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

Were you shooting a crossbow by any chance??

13. IDForkHorn

IDForkHorn Common sense just isn't that common anymore

AMEN brother, my season is just horrible, missed 4 antelope, 2 elk, 1 bear and 2 deer , maybe my luck is changing, my dad killed a 3 point muley a little bit ago! Hope you get him!

14. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

I missed a 170ish typical 10 point, on the ground, eleven yards, with a bow. I blamed it on a hill. The hill the deer came up just before he tried to sit in my lap. Believe me i feel your pain. Therapy helps, it's been a couple years now and i barley tear up anymore talking about it. : )

15. buckman170

buckman170 Member

I missed a 145-150 class 9 point from the ground on public land last night! Couldn't sleep at all last night, but don't worry, it only hurts until you die lol

16. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

i dont remember who asked but no i wasnt shooting a crossbow. I took a friend hunting who has never taken a deer. put him in one of my good spots and he schwackered a very nice 8 point. quartering twards him right at dark . gut shot. next morning i helped him find it. that will be hard to top for my hunting season. no kill of my own could top that. he went crazy and rightfully so. i will post a pic when my high school aged son gets home and teaches me how to load a picture. haha.

after bowhunting 20 plus years nothing is more exciting to me than taking someone who hasnt gotten a deer and seeing them get one.

17. livbucks

Every single time we took a new guy along either to camp or in our stands at home he scored on a buck. Something strange about how that works.

18. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

My misses far exceed my kills. Back when recurves was all we had, and stalking was the only "REAL" way to hunt....I accumulated alot of bad memories. Now days, I can't walk very far, climbers scare me, bows are hard to pull back, and a bed is more comfortable than a tree, I don't miss nearly as often. LOL

19. livbucks

Ladder stands are the shiz and you only need to pull the bow back one time if you do it right, Tim.

My wife couldn't keep me in bed on a Saturday morning in archery season even when it was our anniversary.

Her powers are useless against the lure of bucks and broadheads. That do piss her off a little.

20. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

gives us missers something to look forward to UM the hit seems like there is alot of air around those geese this year too, havent pulled one down yet, but did get 4 sandhills so far this year. If it was easy everyone would do it good luck folks