1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pickled skins ripping

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by jorgy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jorgy

jorgy Member

Oldshaver I am in fact going to switch to the Trubond system this year.

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Well then, problem solved..
    Best of luck..

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Just to be more certain about your post - are you pickling the Deer first, without fleshing them? Then you wait awhile for them to pickle (usually within 3 days), take them out, drain them and then "flesh" them - not shave them? If so, the flesh still on the skins may be your problem - it should have been removed "prior" to the pickle. Maybe I misunderstood your post - but if its true - the flesh will impede the pickle.

4. Fernando

Fernando Member

Been reading all the answers and there is no problem with your pickle,you are causing the problem.Anyone that has shaved any amount(not a couple,a bunch)will have had this happen.It happens when you hold the skin super tight over the cutting edge and are at a slight different angle,the blade cut deeper and as you stretch causes it to rip,happens if you drag the skin on a upwards-right,rather left-right.hope this helps,if you have any more questions call me at 914-7994519cell.Fernando Neves

5. jorgy

jorgy Member

Bruce, I mean shaving. I flesh them real clean right when I skin them, probably much cleaner than most people do. There isn't any meat or membrane left anywhere prior to salting.

Fernando, it isn't the angle of the hide in relation to the blade. There is something different about the composition of the skin. A skin pickled properly will take a tremendous amount of force to just rip. These are real grainy looking and will just keep ripping if you try. I can cut a normal skin and it will stretch before it will rip like these have done.

I never had the problem using formic, but I haven't used it for years for a number of reasons. I have only had a few do this to me and like I posted earlier I really can't recall if more than one from a batch has done it.

6. Sounds like the skins are getting HOT. I've seen pickled skins rip on calf hides that have died and laid under a heat lamp and cooked. Some look OK until you get them soaked up and then they rip like tissue.