1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

is this a mature deer?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jkjohn, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

how old do you guys think this deer is? would he score around 140?

thanks!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    3 1/2 and under 140 would be my guess. I'll probably start an arguement but I would shmack it given a chance. But to each their own. 3bears

3. I just saw one at a game farm that had bout the same size and
    was only 1 year, it was his first rack.

4. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

man I was hoping he is going to be atleast 4.5

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

He looks old enough for me.

6. minehill

minehill New Member

I do think he's 4 1/2 and I'd also say he's over 140! Just my .02$

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. He'll hit 140 + and I would say 3 1/2 - 4 1/2. JMO ;)

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I agree with the age, but that animal UNLESS IT'S A TEXAS DEER THAT ALWAYS HAVE GROUND SHRINKAGE, is going to score 150 or better. He's an honest 10 with good tine length and good mass. If that's a northern tier deer, he's going to be 155+ and be about 4 1/2.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You really think he is over 150? He looks to lack the mass, to my eyes, but I score deer after I shoot them. If they look good at first sight they work for me. 3bears

10. peedeedeer

peedeedeer Bridges Custom Woodwork [email protected]

if you like him, shoot him. thats all that matters anyway, wheather YOU like him or not.

11. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Look at the 3's and 4's on him, along with the beam lengths. He's 150, no doubt. Summer time deer are just harder to age for me.

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Im surprised nobody is asking questions first, like where he is from. Assuming this is a September pic, if hes a 230 lb NY deer hes 145 and 2 or 3 yr old. If hes from some parts of Texas or MS or GA hes likely smaller and older, and high 130s. Size and location makes a big difference when youre aging and scoring, in my opinion.

13. George

Bill I did imply that but I see almost 65 a side with an 18 inch inside . Either way he's shot at if he came by me. 3bears, "mass" doesn't count for much in scoring. Its tine length. He doesn't get as much spread credit as you'd like, but that won't ever change much.

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    yes I understand mass doesn't count for much, but it is part of it. And yes he looks high and tight. His longest points are not twice the lenght of his ears so that puts them less than 12 and the left appears shorter so I am not seeing the 140 mark, mid to upper 130's sure. I don't see the 18 inch spread either. Unless he shoots him we will never know for sure, I say crack him, I like the look of his crown. 3bears

15. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

He's 148 gross and 140 3/8 net. I shot him last night and scored him right away. LOL No not really, but I bet I'm real close.

Age, that does depend on where he's from. 3 1/2 yo northern deer, could be 51/2 southern deer.

16. Bill Yox

That inside spread would be hard pressed to be more than 16 inches.

17. George

You're right Bill. Fat fingers on the DROID keypad.

18. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I agree with Mr. Yox there. Look at the ears. If it had them in an alert position the rack would be inside the ears.

19. Bill Yox

I say 130ish. The odd part of this is, many of you who are scoring it higher then I think it is, are guys I KNOW know what theyre doing.

20. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Isn't it funny what a nice rack will do to a guy.