1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need a little help. Hide pulled from antler bur

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by fatjake, Sep 25, 2012.

1. fatjake

fatjake New Member

So my hide has pulled away a little from my bur, I understand my problem and what I think I did wrong. No w jus want to make it look as good as possible. Any help out there to make this look better, its not much and cant see it from the wall, it jus drives me nuts

Thanks
    Jake

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

Very simple fix. Take some apoxie sculpt and create some "beading" along the gap. Then when cured, color to match and no one will ever know. To end that problem, use apoxie paste around the burrline when mounting. It kicks in about 3 hrs, so make sure the skin is where it needs to be.

3. Superglue it back up. Use your modeling tool and pull it all away from the burr. Put super glue around the bottom of the burr and use your modeling tool to "taxi" the skin upward. If you use gel, be sure to use a "kicker" so it sets quick. If it's only a small spot pulling away, put the tip of the superglue bottle under the skin and give it a little squirt and press the skin in place.

4. countrycritter

countrycritter Active Member

Texas
    I do like Matt suggested on all my antelope and sheep. It helps to hold the skin in place while drying with no pulling away from the horn base. You could rehydrate with wet towel placed on problem area overnight and taxi the skin back against the antler burr tomorrow.

5. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Funny no one has mentioned to make sure you have your antler set correctly. Sounds like you set the antlers wrong to me, without pics we will never know.

6. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Tech Bond. Love the stuff.

7. He said he already knows what he did wrong. We can all assume the antlers weren't placed properly. He just wanted to know a quick fix, "I think"

8. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Well then a "quick" fix is not the answer, glueing the hide back up to the burr will likely cause the eye to pull. The "best" fix is to soak your seam, fix your antler set and make sure you have everything set properly.

Quick fixes for one problem can cause another problem.

9. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Rehydrating seems to be the best fix. Imho

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

put some clear silicone in there and trim some hair of same color off the back. Press it into the silicone, and when it set use a small pair of scissors to trim off any scraglies. That will take care of this one, do as the others have said to prevent it in the future.

11. Boomer Sooner

Boomer Sooner New Member

What type of stitching did you use at the base of antler? i use a saddle stitch and with proper antler to eye placement i have not had this problem.

12. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

Haven't had this problem yet and I'm still fairly new so I won't speculate lol.
    But I will ask my own question (I'm not trying to steal the thread) What is a saddle stitch?

13. fatjake

fatjake New Member

I believe my antlerset was jus a fuzz high but oddly my hide only pulled from one burr. So idk if I didnt get it as thin as I should have or what. Anyway thank you all for the help

14. There is a quick n easy way to check your antler set before you screw them down. Put your index and middle finger together and place your middle knuckles at the base of the burr and the other side of your fingers should come to the edge of the back corner of the eye socket. Considering you have average sized fingers. Large bucks will be a fuzz further than the edge of your knuckle. This is what they call a 2 finger rule. But it really sounds like you either didn't get that part thin enough, or if your stitches weren't real tight at the beginning of the incision, it could loosen a little and pull apart and cause the hide to draw away from your burr. Just a few things to keep in mind the next one you do. A roll of apoxy before you sew it up will also keep it in place. (as mentioned earlier). Cinch it down so it presses into the apoxy and that problem will never occur as long as you have a good fit.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thank you Harley. X2

I build a thin "dam" of Apoxie under my burrs on all the antlers a few weeks ahead. I never sew the tag ends together first. I got inside the tag and begin my stitch and then pull around the base to the other side inside the tag. Several stitches cinching the hide under the burr with the dam underneath and some hide paste under the burr and you'll never have the hide pull away.