1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what is the craziest thing that ever happened in your shop

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by hounddoggy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

during my first year (two years ago) my shop wasnt divided between show room and work room. i was fleshing a deer one night when a car pulls up so i quickly covered the flesh scraps with a sheet. i look out and here comes a customer and three beautiful women. each of them were dressed up as if they were heading to the waldorf astoria. quickly i tried to clean up a bit. i apologized for the mess and told them to just look up and not down. long story short the guy came by to pay a little and to see his mount. soon my wife came down from the house. as the group was leaving i noticed a long slimy flesh scrap tagging along behind one of the women.my wife told me to try to step on it as it was stuck to her high heel. i was trying so hard to catch it with my foot but couldnt. it fell off thankgoodness and i yet understand how she got it on her foot.

i live in a peaceful area and one day i heard a commotion out side the door. i opened the door to find the k-9 unit in my yard yelling at a guy to show hands. glad my fence is done!!

2. The district's Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries sent there very old bald eagle mount to me. As it need some help cleaning paint etc etc.
    Any ways a week later two officers shows up at the door on a complaint, that i have a bald eagle in premises. They walked in saw it as soon as they stepped in. They proceeded with One million questions in less than 60 seconds. As one decided he needed to read me my rights. They get a urgent radio call, STAND DOWN, ITS THE DEPARTMENTS EAGLE ! Two upper ranking officers that were customers of mine were talking to each other in the office. They where in disbelief that I had an eagle in the shop. When one of those two gentlemen was the very one that sent it to me. Some wheres in the mist of that conversation , the light bulb goes off. Hey that's the bird i sent to him. Its was all funny in the end, with the exception this is the same person allowed to tote a gun.

3. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

that is crazy... i get calls every year just before season by someone wanting me to mount a bird of prey. the old retired taxidermist told me it would happen every year and that the game wardens make those calls

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I have a couple of odd tales to tell.

The first ... I had loop tape - an answering machine cassette tape - with the roars of an African Lion on it, that I used to play for the local kids that were walking past on their way home from school. They would look in and see my big Lion mount, and they got a kick out of it! Well, one day I had the roars playing, when I noticed this couple walking their two little yappy-yap dogs across the street from me. They heard the roars, noticed the Lion - you could see the expressions of panic on their faces - picked up their little doggies and hot-healed it out of there! Well, that was plenty funny! The very next day, there was an Animal Control truck parked outside ... and after a while I walked over, recognized the officer, and asked if there was a problem, and could I help? He says to me, rather sheepishly: "John ... um ... do - you have ... a Lion on your place?" Recalling the couple and their yappy dogs, I smiled, and told him "Yes I do ... it's in the house ... want to meet him?" With a pained expression he asks: "Is it a mount?" To which I reply: "Of course it is!" He chuckles and tells me "Okay ... yeah ... that's what I figured." He did come on in to look at it, was duly impressed, and went on his way. Twilight Zone time! LOL!

Another time, I had the police come to my door ... many officers and patrolmen of the police department are customers of mine ... asking if they could use the property and my building as a 'command center' of sorts. "Sure!" There was an escaped convict who had just robbed a convenience store, hold up in the house right next to my building! The police had the house surrounded, and the building I was in at that time was made from concrete block, and surrounded by a high privacy fence, so I had the S.W.A.T. team, and a couple of dozen police in and out of my building and all over the property for most of the day, until they finally got this guy to surrender. What a day that was! Woo-hoo ... excitment galore! LOL!

5. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I had a 325" 6x6 elk on the stand that i had just finished mounting. The stand I had was small for elk so i had a 50 pound bag of salt on the back leg to keep it from tipping. my wife walked in the shop as I was walking out to get something. I heard a loud crash and went running back into the shop. There stands my wife holding a bag of salt and the elk was laying on the floor with the form snapped off right behind the ears.

She put the bag of salt down and walked back out of the shop. neither one of us said a word. ( until she walked back in the house) That made for a long day.

6. jbgcmg

jbgcmg New Member

I must have a pretty benign shop because the only crazy thing that has happened was while I was skinning a Coyote. My husband arrived home from work , we had a very heated argument which neither of us can remember what it was about now. I was sooo mad that while we were arguing I had the tail stripper in place and with a YANK (ANGRY YANK in response to his badgering) the tail broke/came OFF and went flying across the entire room and hit the wall ! DEAD SILENCE after that and we both burst out laughing ! I personally think HE should have been the one to sew it back on !

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I did a dog for a crazy woman one time, knew she was crazy, the whole town knows she's crazy, and I knew I couldn't satify her with her emotional instability, but the money was worth it!

Mounted a Pomeranian for her, tell her to come get it, she doesn't like it. Made dome adjustments, call her, she doesn't like it. 5 times, 5 same results. Last time she comes, doesn't like it, I finally tell her that's what she's getting and if she doesn't like it I'll just leave the dog up for display.

She leaves, pulls back up 30 minutes later and I see her. I stay in back working figuring she can come to me, I hear the front door open and close 5 times, finally I'm thinking WTF??? I walk into my showroom and she's released 10 Pomeranians in there and she starts screaming 'that doesn't look like your brother, that doesn't look like your brother!' I closed the door to the showroom, went in back and she comes back there 'with dogs', screams some more and leaves.

Her husband finally picked it up 6 months later.

8. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

See why I don't want to do pets! ...people are crazy, glad I'm choosing to work with dead things.

9. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Well im kinda new I guess so nothing extremly crazy yet. Last deer season I return from hunting and my wife tells me a guy dropped a deer head of and wanted it mounted. I walk into my shop and in the floor under a tarp was a deer cut perfectly in half with 3 bags of ice stuffed in the cavity. Oh ok I think and I call him and he said well didnt know how much you would need so I just sent half of it. So in like 10 minutes I call him back after hanging the thing up and seeing he had drug it for what musta been a mile and it was bald to the raw red hide on the other side. Well the MP rocking video sure came in handy on that one.

10. I got paid on time.

11. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I can only imgaine all those empty donut boxes they left at your place

12. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

LOL!!

13. double barrel

double barrel New Member

In 1972 we had moved to east Tennessee and I was still living at home with mom and dad and my brother. Back then if I decided to do taxi I just painted a sign and put it up. No license or permits of any kind, just a 4x8 sheet of plywood sign that I painted myself.

Someone brought me a 7 and 1/2 lb. German Brown trout. Man was that thing pretty and the meat was yellow and fried up nicely. I thought that was pretty big for that area.
    I carved a form and mounted it up, had it looking good. My shop was in my dad's garage and the door had all those windows like some garage doors do and one window pane was knocked out and I had plastic over it, I thought. Next morning I went down to "play with my fish" and a cat had came in and chewed the whole tail off . Boy was I P.O'ed. I had to make another tail. The customer never knew.

14. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

This past spring a customer called and is coming right over with a big black bear his buddy got in Canada. OK, the 2 show up struggling with a huge cooler up my driveway. My friend and fellow taxidermist, Rich Bauman, who was helping me out that weekend was over. I open the cooler and said wow, giant head, big bear. Then a taint odor hits us. The head and neck area was thawed, the body area was still somewhat frozen. We take the bear out and open it up in the driveway, about a 7 footer .All the hair was tight but who knows. I asked how long did it get to the freezer after you shot it, he said left it out after hitting it overnight ,mind you it was in the 50's then. Well as we are all looking at this bear on the ground, it seems that flies have a good sense of smell every fly-intown came over to see what the lovely aroma was. At that point when the black hair is now in motion with all the flies all over the hide and spraying Black Flag in our eyes, I said lets bring it down in my basement shop to get the skull out. So I roll up the bear and we get in in the shop. Well it seems a few of the flies were in the bear as we rolled it up and with in 10 seconds, the shop, which is only 10 foot by 20, was teaming with little black kamikazes. It sounded like a hundred little motocross riders were buzzing everywere, making dust which was coming off the light fixtures. A half an hour later and 2 cans of bug killer and a trusty fly swatter, we got the area secure. 2 taxidermist 1, 10 thousand flies 0. Oh yea, did get the skull out but the smell started to make its way throughout the house, fold it up and into the freezer for another day. Wife was a real happy camper when she walked into the front door.

15. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

Oh man Paul, that was bad. Is Laura still mad at us? LOL.

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I have two. First, one time before I did taxidermy I decided to start doing skulls. I hadn't a clue as to what to do, but I had a sheep skull someone had given me. I had read to simmer it, but I had no where to do it except the house. I waited until my wife would be gone, put the skull in the biggest pan we had, and poured in some TSP. Hours later, I'm still trying to get the smell out and my wife is close to killing me.

Another time I had someone call about a large bull mastiff dog that had died the night before on the 4th of July. I told him it was really expensive and tried to talk him out of it. He said the dog belonged to his boss who owns a lot of oil rigs and money wasn't a problem. I told him I needed half down and he said he'd be back within the hour. It was too big to even fit in my chest freezer. I start skinning it out and he calls back and says his boss might want an autopsy instead because he thinks it was poisoned by neighbors rather than having a heart attack because of the fireworks. This was a 2 year old dog. I told him that I could save the carcass for the autopsy or if he no longer wanted it to come pick it up. He said he'd call right back. I stop skinning it. An hour goes by. I call and he says his boss doesn't want it done and that he'll come pick it up within the hour. I bag it up, put it in the wheel barrow and set it outside for him to get. 2 hours later I call and he says he forgot and will be right over. This goes on a few times until finally he says he got caught up with work and will pick it up the first thing in the morning. I tell him I can't keep it because it smells too bad and it's starting to bloat, but what can I do? He says he'll be at my house at 6 a.m. The next morning at 8 I call and tell him he has to get it now. It's 110 degrees, the dog has bloated so bad it split open, and even the bag ripped because it was so bloated. He and another employee show up an hour later. I tell them it's in the back and he starts acting like what's the big deal, I came like I said, just later. I wheel the dog into the front and they both have to cover their mouths because of the smell. They ask, what the F is that smell? I said, that's why I wanted you to get it yesterday. They both barf while loading it into the back of their truck and just as they get it in the back, it splits the rest of the way open and spills all over their truck bed. As they are driving off, they both have their heads out the windows barfing. I laugh as I hose the driveway off.

17. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I don't like spiders and snakes. I can deal with a snake but I don't want to touch a spider or even see one. I've done aircond. work for years so I've been all under houses and been in those little black spiders. I always made sure they didn't have that orange hourglass on their belly. Somebody told me the male black widow don't have it so I probably got around them and didn't know it.

Back in the 70's, I lived in the old house and just put up a sign and that's it, instant business. No lic. ,permit, nothing. I didn't even have a phone. I lived on the edge of town and used the phone at a zippie mart across the road about 2 blocks down.

One sat morning, the wife and 3 small kids were in the kitchen, baking cookies, way in the back of the house and I was playin couch potato, watching TV. I heard a tap on the door. I peeked out the window and saw a little red sportscar. I opened the door and there stood this pretty little girl, or should I say full figured woman, about 22, natural blond, about 5' 2", 120 lbs., low cut top and tight jeans , smellin good, gold jewelry, long yellow hair down to her waist looking like she just stepped out of a playboy book .Now it took me a whole 20 seconds to notice all these things. And yes, I think back then I had looked at a playboy book at least once, only for the articles of coarse.I was young, dumb and rull of rum, and actually had a couple hairs on my head.

I said, "hello, what can I do for you?" She said in a soft, sexy voice, "my pet tarantula molted and I was wandering if you could preserve this" and she held up a pretty, little beautiful hand with gold rings and bracelets and there was this great big hairy looking spider with legs about 4 foot long all hairy and hanging down, covering her whole beautiful little hand. I said, Herr, ug! Hmm!, cleared my voice , "sure, bring em on in". I grabbed a magazine and said, just put it right here, and laid it on the coffee table. Now I knew I didn't want to mess with this thang, but I wasn't about to let this beautiful little blond playboy bunny, I mean finer than a frog hair split 4 ways know that I was a skeered of her pet spider. Besides, I needed the 20 dollars. I got her contact info and said I'll call you when it's ready. She left and my wife came in the room and ask, "was someone at the door?" I said, "look here what I got to mount". She said, who brought that?" I said, "some ole ugly girl brought it."

I got to looking at it, with tweezers, layin on the magizine, and it was all empty, just a perfect skin, even had the opening on the belly, if I remember correctly. So I thought about it, got my strategy worked out. I decided to roll up a clay body an insert it into the opening, then preserve it.

I already had it laid out on the mag., opened up with tweezers, so just as I was reaching for the clay, I saw a bowl of pecans setting on the table where my wife had picked up in the yard. I thought, hmm!, I picked up a pecan and thought, that's about the right size and shape. But, no, it has the "goodie" in it and would decay and attract insects. I got to digging around and found one with the little worm hole in it, so from past experience I knew it was empty because the worm had already eaten the nut. I wrapped the little pecan with a little clay and put it in the cavity, boraxed it and positioned it on a piece of Styrofoam, pinned the legs out and put it in a tupperware bowl. Then I poured in a bottle of alcohol, added borax, then said, heck, I'll add a little formaldehyde and stirred it all up and let it soak. Took it out, let dry, and glued it to a plaque.
    It looked good to me, I went over to the zippy mart, called her and she came and got it. I mounted the whole thing and never touched it, except with tweezers. She liked it and brought her sister with her to pick it up. Good Gawd, I don't even want to go there. She was prettier than the first one. But, she liked it and was satisfied with it. My wife came in from the kit. and ask, " who was that at the door?", I said, it was just that ole ugly girl came to pick up her spider. LOL!

18. typical10

typical10 New Member

It was my first or second year, 1985 or 86 and my brother in law was home on leave from the armed forces with a case of grenade assemulators to blow at my farm, there was a couple of mushroom clouds from the explosions above the farm when a federal warden stopped in for a freezer check. Why he didn't look up was beyond luck!

19. Boarhunter, that story about the dog was way to funny. My wife heard me laughing from the next room and asked was was so funny. I told her the short version of the story, she looked at me with disgust and said "you are sick, that's not funny" and walked off. LOL, don't care what she says, that is a crazy story!!!

20. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Yeah, i read the dog story to the people i work with, and our director walked in as was dying laughing.