1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

crow question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by 689, Sep 26, 2012.

1. 689

689 Well-Known Member

can i have a couple crows(for taxidermy and skeleton)gifted to me and shipped into CA?

if so.when is the best time to legally harvest a crow to get the fullest and best feather condition?and is the shipping label a legit form of paper work to where the crow came from?

2. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

dunno bout the rest of it. but for the best plumaged crows winter time is the best time to get em 8) i stock up on them then. ;D ;)

3. Wouter

Wouter Member

If you want some crows to skeletonize, then make sure that they are not harvested by shooting. It's easy to pach up small shot holes in a skin mount, but shot birds always have damage to the bones, and that is often very hard to repair. So make sure that they get trapped and killed in a way that doesn't damage the bones. Unless you get a large number of them, so you can replace damaged bones from another bird. But that is a lot of extra work, it is only feasible when the skeleton comes apart in separate bones (not with beetles) and often replacement bones won't have a perfect fit.

Wouter

4. 689

689 Well-Known Member

thanks guys.i appreciate all the info...very helpfull...