1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing gator skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Beltonbanger, Sep 27, 2012.

1. How long do you folks degrease gator skulls. I've had two in there for months. I have one sitting in ammonia for right now. I beetled these, maybe should have macerated them! These things are as bad as hogs!!! ;D

2. apmel

apmel Member

If these are your first gator heads be prepared for them to fall apart. I've never soaked in ammonia, but I've never had to mascerate a gator head more than a month. I do a lot of boar hogs and alligators are a breeze. Not sure what problem you are having. Try washing ammonia off and let dry for a day before placing in a bucket with a degreaser. I pressure wash most of the meat off all my fresh skulls and the masceration process is quick and easy. It only takes about 10 minutes to thoroughly clean a skull with a pressure washer. If the bone is visible mascerating should finish it pretty quick. (a couple of weeks) Just make sure you get the water up to 80 degrees and don't change the water until it's done.

3. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Talk to coop on here, he does a ton of them, though not the cleanest :) Dont beetle in the future, rot is the way to go I hear. Try soaking in peroxide after dry then immediatly into hot water with a little dawn, this will force alot of the deep grease out.

Dont know about pressure washing Apmell seems a little agressive on meat that comes off EASY in a few days in the rot.

4. Thanks guys, it was just the back of the jaws. I just finished the lower jaw on one and put the other in ammonia. I will post some pictures up when I finish. I will mascerate in the future! And YES they do fall apart, but I had a plan for that!!;) Dog, I've read everything I could from coop!!!!! That guy knows gators!!!!!!