1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's Your Worst/Funniest Accident in Shop?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Sportsman, Sep 27, 2012.

1. I was reading George's post about blowing up an otter skin with an inner tube and it made me wonder what other serious/funny stories people have about things gone wrong in the shop.

2. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Well, about 2 weeks ago I let my lip slot cutter (jig saw blade with a wooden handle) slip and gouge myself between my index finger and thumb. Right into the webbed part of my hand. Just 3 stiches, but it freaking hurt! I learned a little lesson, slow down and pay more attention.

3. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I drove a 6 inch upholstery pin through my hand. Never felt a thing. In fact I went around the room showing others and laughing.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's funny now, but it wasn't funny at the time.

Some years back, I was mounting a lifesized mountain grizzly. It had the mouth partially open and the front elevated. I had it finished and was trying to get it to fit on the base and diorama. It was getting late and I was starting to screw things up so I thought I'd give it a break. Instead of putting the mount back on the cradle, I pulled my desk chair away from the desk and just propped the bear's front feet on the desk.

I got a late start the next morning and wasn't really thinking about what I was doing. I opened the door, reached for the switch, and there - right in my chest- was a charging snarling grizzly bear. Scared hell out of me and my mind wasn't working fast enough to think this though. Only later did I figure out that somehow, the bear had fallen off the desk perfectly astraddle the desk chair and rolled about 2 feet towards the door.

5. Re: Re: What's Your Worst/Funniest Accident in Shop?

Yea Prolly woulda pissed myself on that one my shops like a nut house any way so to work you got to just have a open mind but we've had some good ones the last one that was bad in the case it ruined the animal but it was mine so no big deal but me and my dad was working on a coon we killed it was tanned but was still really wet so we got this bright idea while we was Sanding and altering the form we would put in front of our bullet heater to kinda get it a lil dry well we was working and got to smelling burning hair looked over our coon was flaming let's just say we ain't doing that again

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Lol! U couldn't make that happen again if u wanted George. Lol!

7. JustinNH

JustinNH New Member

Wow, that sure got a laugh out of me, thanks for sharing!

8. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

I was going to make a pour on a base and accidentally made a urethane bomb one time.

I hate to throw away any type of mixing container, and had been eating a lot of dole brand peaches at the time, the kind that come in a plastic quart size container with a screw on lid. I know this isn't the correct way to mix up the two parts, but I poured the two parts into the container and put the lid on and shook it up. I had done it this way many times before without a problem, but this was a brand new batch of foam I had got from another supplier that was on sale. It only took a few shakes to realize the error I had just made. The jug containing almost a full quart of a & b started expanding almost immediately and sealed the lid so I couldn't open it. Now keep in mind all these thoughts and actions I'm about to tell you, happened in about a 3 or 4 second time frame. At the time I realized I couldn't get the lid off I was standing in the far corner of the shop and the only exit was in the opposite end of the shop with 12 mounted and drying turkeys between me and the exit. I just knew I couldn't make it to the door before this thing exploded, and foam on turkey feathers would be a disaster. .I looked at the garbage can, but the garbage can was already overflowing. I stood there paralyzed with indecision holding this jar that was now looking more like a basketball than a jar, It finally dawned on me I had no idea how powerful this impending explosion was gonna be, maybe it would blow my hand off. I instantly dropped it on the floor and upended the garbage can and all it's contents on top of this bomb to surpress the explosion that was surely coming. I frantically started moving turkeys away from the blast zone.
    Well, the explosion wasn't as bad as I feared, and the garbage did a good job of surpressing the flying foam, but It did end up all over the floor, walls and ceiling, but none on the turkeys.

9. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Last month I slipped and accidentally cut my thumb with a hacksaw while sawing a skull plate. You wouldn't think a hack saw would do too much damage but it went through the skin to the bone. Ouch! Only six stitches but it really messed me up at my day job for a few weeks since I do detailed work with my hands.

I'm on the lookout for a better saw for doing skull plates now.

10. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Cooterwhitt, That is THE LONGEST sentence I have ever seen. I had to stop and catch my breath before I finished reading.

11. One of my worst experiences was with an elk mount. I had just completed the finish work, applied a "sawtooth" grooved hanger to the back of the mount and hung it on the wall to make sure everything looked good. Apparently, instead of getting the nail inside the grooves of the teeth of the hanger, I got it just on the edge of the teeth. It actually held for about 30 seconds. As I stepped back and liked what I saw, the hold failed and the elk came tumbling down nose first. I spent the next two hours making repairs and have not used very many of the groove type hangers since.

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I was doing a set of moose antlers in the house before I got my shop. I was lifting weights and I had one of those giant inflatable exercise balls. As I was doing some arm curls I stepped back, tripped over some weights land on my butt on the ball, which launched me into the air. I came down head first onto these giant moose antler tips and was knocked cold for about 15min. I'm glad my hard head didn't break any tines.

13. double barrel

double barrel New Member

About 79 or so, I had rented an old house and the owner had been threatening to tear it down as it was pretty delapidated. I did some repairs and moved in because of the reasonable rent and I was poor as Job's turkey with 3 kids at the time. I had never heard of tax. associations, shows, no internet, vcr's and only had about 2 supply catalogs. I had never heard of sculpall, but I did recognize that my fish had shrunken areas, especially the top of the head. So I experimented with wax. I would melt the paraphin and paint it on with a brush. Then smooth it by scraping with a blade or sandpaper. One day I had the bright Idea to try a candle. Let the wax make a puddle around the flame and dip brush in it and quickly paint the wax on, but you had to be quick and don't catch the brush on fire. My work table was a large freezer, one of those old ones about 26 cubic feet and made of thick metal so heavy 4 men couldn't move it. It was about 7 feet long, in my kitchen. I knew lacquer thinner and flames don't mix but I had been painting fish and had a glass babyfood jar full of lac. thinner pushed over away from the candle area. I only needed a little wax, only take a second right.? I don't remember what caused it but somehow I knocked the candle and the jar of thinner over and fire blazed accross the freezer, luckily there wasn't much thinner in the jar but I quickly yelled for my wife and we took pots and pans and filled them with water and I looked over and the whole top of the freezer was afire, my fish was on fire, and I was just trying to keep it away from those curtains. We got it out and opened the doors and windows and never told the landlord. He used to joke, how bout burnning it down for me. He had it insured and wanted to build apartments there and rent them out. He never knew, I almost did burn it down.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Bent over and stuck a deer tine into one of my eyeballs. The shoulder mount was resting against a support post in the garage -- or something like that. The eye was bleeding and there was pain so i was sure I had really messed up. I drove myself to the doctor but got lucky. No eyeball damage whatsoever. Apparently the eye ball getting pushed back caused the bleeding.

I was sure I had done serious damage!

15. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Was working on some skulls and had an Elk Skull proped up against the wall. Stood up to get something and bumped the Elk skull. Tried to corect the elk skull and lost my ballance and fell over the Elk Skull. Ended up putting one of the tines into my leg. Did this 2 months ago.

Of course I had to get pic's! ! ! ;D

Attached Files:

16. Mink

Mink New Member

I've had a few "memorable" incidents. Most recently, I was skinning out a massive hog head, about 70lbs of cape and skull together, and when I finally got the skull separated from the hide I was about to place it in a bag to put in the freezer (I needed to clean the skull at a later date) but this 18 - 20lb raw skull quickly slipped out of my hands and landed on my bare foot! The 2" tusk cut my wrist as I tried to catch it, but I didn't even notice at first because my foot was hurting worse! I still have a scar on my wrist from the tusk, but at least the bruise on my foot has since gone away!

17. Foxidermy

Foxidermy New Member

This one happened to me just a couple weeks back:
    I had just finished a coyote ped mount, the whole thing looked real nice although the base was a little small, took it outside to get some nice pictures. Well suddenly as I'm snapping pictures I just hear this loud SNAP! I look over and it's the base, the mount did a nose dive right into the ground. Thank the good Lord the mount was not damaged. But I worked for a couple days trying to fix the stupid base. Well in the end the base was unfixable. Still making a new one lol.

18. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

This didn't happen in my shop, but on a delivery. I did a couple of fighting turkeys for a guy. He wanted them placed up high in his trophy room. I had an attachment system using square bar and tubes to support each bird. I was on a 16 foot step ladder, sliding the rod into it's holder while my customer was holding the ladder. Just as I got the base attached, the turkey slipped off the other end...and down he went. Fortunately, he kinda glided down, the flipped over and landed evenly on his back. I didn't even want to look, I knew there had to be some major damage, but there was absolutely none! The customer laughed at how well that mounted bird could fly! I didn't find a anything funny about it at the time.

19. Re: Re: What's Your Worst/Funniest Accident in Shop?

Haha I hate punctuation marks my English teacher in college gave up on me told me she just pass me bc she would have to deal with me again if I failed

20. Re: Re: What's Your Worst/Funniest Accident in Shop?

Haha I hate periods my English teacher in college gave up on me told me she just pass me bc she would have to deal with me again if I failed