1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Which do you dislike most

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ted B, May 5, 2007.

1. Finishing

14 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Prepping

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Fleshing

40 vote(s)
    62.5%
  4. Crating and Shipping

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. Sewing

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

I know it sounds stupid, but for me it's gotta be sewing, heck I grew up learning to use a sewing machine! I've been doin this 8 years now and still dislike sewing.

Anyone else???

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Ted, you put me in a trick on this one. I hate sewing as much as anyone, but when it comes down to it, I think I hate finishing even more. I got that way years ago building Early American Furniture. I loved working with the wood and constructing it, but unfinished work would sit for days because I absolutely hated the fine sanding, staining, and lacquering of the furniture. I don't think I ever did finish work on the first squirrel I ever mounted, but looking back, I don't know if anyone would have noticed anyway. LOL

3. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

For me it's the finishing that I put off for as long as I can. Don't know why as it's no all that hard. I think some of it is that if I am not mounting something then I feel unproductive or something ??? . Sewing is no trouble to me! ;)

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

I don't mind anything, but I put off finish work for some unknown reason. I will mount up so many animals that I run out of room in a couple weeks, then I have to do the finish work to make room to mount up more.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Mostly, I am starting to hate it all. I love it when it is finished, I love the final product, it's getting there I hate. It use to be fun.

6. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Starting out with something that usually wasn't taken care of in the first place, and fleshing it down down to get something to work with does it for me. Sewing doesn't seem to bother me which may be why I don't have a problem doing a long cut. Sewing and prepping just may be therapy for me. Finishing is when I finally see all the effort come alive and to know the next step is out the door, so finishing I like.

7. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

Ted, I have another catagory. It's crating and shipping. 80% of my work has to be crated and shipped. I hate it but it is part of my business if I want to be in business. Second would probably be finishing. My unfinished mounts seem to stack up.

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I fit right in there on putting off finishing...and I am far from alone. I have lots of stuff setting around un-finished til the customer inquires about it. I go in a lot of other shops, and I see the same thing. One guy has an unfinished lifesize bugleing elk on a base right in his work area...he has been working around that elk for over a year now!!!

9. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

I hate cleaning up after I'm finished. My work space is small and turns into a disaster zone!

10. I guess I'm the only one who dislikes prepping. :-\

11. Caping! Because the floor is usually full of heads, and there is no stopping point. I don't freeze mine until they're caped.

12. SteveP

SteveP New Member

It's a good thing that I don't mind sewing, because my fleshing skills (or lack there of) makes sure I do a lot of it. It's a good thing all my mounts are covered in feathers.

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Finishing for me. I don't know why, heck, you're fixing to get paid, why wouldn't you want to finish it? The only thing I can figure is that I see ALL of my mistakes then, then I hate the whole dang piece. Of course the customers love it, but I don't, maybe that comes from competing, I don't know, but they can't all be comp quality or I'd go broke.

14. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Thats what Apoxie-Sculpt and paint are for Becky P...correcting our mistakes!!! The painter once said "A little putty and a little paint, make the carpenters work what it ain't!"...Same gives with taxidermy.

15. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I don't like finish work either, but I would have voted for crating and shipping if that had been an option.

16. Derrin

Derrin New Member

I would have to say finishing. I dread it for some reason. I let the mounts pile up, then take a deep breath, and march in there and epoxy and paint. Satisfied with the results, just don't care for this part of the procedure. But, you grin and bare it, and git it done!!

17. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

HAHA, I know, but I still hate it. That's what I'm supose to be doing right now, 5 deer and 4 bobcats are calling my name to get them out the door. They WILL be done today, one way or the other, actually the finish work is half done.

18. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

OK, I have added crating and shipping (it never crossed my mind, most of my customers are locals).

Sorry for those of you who voted for sewing, I kinda accidentally erased it when I added crating and shipping. My bad.

19. Paul K

Paul K New Member

seems like the finish work gets done once the bank account starts getting low

20. Derrin

Derrin New Member

That does seem to motivate, doesn't it??