1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

another crow question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by luciengwin4, Sep 28, 2012.

1. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    crow season opens up here in nov and there is no limit, i just got a new predator call with a crow call on it and i tried it out in the yard and i must have called fifty crows right over my head. my question is this if i do decide to crow hunt can you eat them? i mean is there anything to use them for besides taxidermy, i hate to waste game any opinions would be appreciated thanks

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

first make sure you are allowed to use electronic calls for crows in your state....they are migratory so check fed laws to......have seen a lot of the skulls and some feathers used by the black powder " rendezvous" guys....but you camt sell them.....

3. Can you eat them? You can eat anything, But I would not. Crows eat carrion.

4. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    i would deffinately make sure the caller was legal before i used it but i don't know if i will be huntiung them bc i don't know what i would do with a pile of dead crows i guess the only other reason to hunt them would be sport or population control

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I would think that after you eat your first, you'll be happy to feed the rest to the cats. They have very dark meat. It might be OK, but I'd have trouble consuming it.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Population control? Doubtful.

I once shot a crow as a kid because someone told me there was a bounty on them and I thought i could make a lot of money. The first thing i I found out was they know what a gun is and will stay out of range. LOL

I went to a lot of effort and was able to kill just one -- only to find out there was no bounty. What a waste of an animal.

I respect them now and have a family that visits the spread once a day. I find them fascinating and they also have knack for killing snakes and peeling the skin off.

They also have wars with a neighborhood hawk and don't like buzzards either. ;D

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If you grow corn, you want population control and fear in them. I once had a couple of guys that would come out and call them and have a crow shoot They would take out 50-60 at a time. Crows will totally destroy a stand of seedling corn. Seed treatments don't seem to harm them at all.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A friend once told me that he used to try to wound a crow and once he got a wounded one he would take some U shaped wire and pin the wings to the ground with the wire. The crow would carry on some thing fierce and crows would come down and the wounded one would grab the one that came down on it and would not let go. He would then wire that one down and so on until he had 12 crows wired. Then those crows would catch crows and since they were not wounded this would go on and on until he had a "goodly bag of crows" as he put it. No broken bones on them. No way to verify if it is true, but worth a try.

9. Pye

Pye Too orangy for crows

Crows will always repopulate. They're like us in that they're adaptable and also intelligent. They're able to learn the relationship between things and their actions. John Marzluff, author of In the Company of Crows and Ravens, reported that the crows he was trapping for research quickly remembered his and his colleagues faces and fled whenever they were spotted. They had to resort to wearing masks. =D

In the future there will be super crows that are able to dodge bullets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhmZBMuZ6vE
    ^
    Cool talk about crows.

@Tanglewood Taxidermy
    How cruel. =/

10. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

Best ever is crow vs owl call. They go psyco. Remember if u miss the first one in " the scout" just pack up and move. Pinning a live wounded one to the ground is using live bait and not many states you can do that. I wish i could use a wounded rabbit here for coyotes

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

For some reason around here you don't see large flocks even in the fall or spring. They seem to hang out in family groups of up to 7 birds.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Sounds cruel to me. Call me a wimp but when I finally get a shot at an animal I want it to be quick and clean. To me pining down a wounded animal is just tormenting it and not right.

But that's just my opinion.

13. babak

babak Active Member

hello guys & gals from Iran,

are you really talking about crows and ravens,eh?there is bunch of great flocks of them around the cities in my country ,quite frankly they area real disasters here for farmers and for pen raised birds and wild ones!if we categorize magpie in this order,they are really plentiful here!and it's a great idea to hunt them,but anybody like to waste his money and shots for this ugly but clever creatures!yeah,they consume whatever they find from carrion to egg and chicken of uplands and waterfowl!i killed many of them,when you shoot one in a flock the rest will try to help the wounded bird,but after your next victim they will leave 'em alone as fast as they can !very clever birds are they!

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Babak,

Welcome. Really cool to see input from different parts of the world.

Unless the crows the above poster is talking about are really different than the ones I have I agree after being fooled once they wouldn't be fooled again.

Can you post any pictures of your ravens? I've seen some interesting variations in different parts of the world including England.

15. babak

babak Active Member

well,I'll let you see 'em ! just few seconds.

okay,here it's: this is a weblog about bird watching in Persepolis: http://aghamir.blogfa.com/post-4.aspx

if you were not able to see the photos just notice me.

sincerely
    babak

16. babak

babak Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Cool! Definitely different than the ones in my area.

As far as the site you posted I see you have the dreaded startling too! I have pair that try and nest under the eves of my log home every year and they are noisy! They also make a mess on the decks and down the fireplace if I don't prevent them from nesting. They remind me of some Brits I know and of course that is where they come from.

Sorry Brits but the few of you I know are loud and pugnacious especially once you start drinking! LOL

18. babak

babak Active Member

ha ha!!!yes,they are really noisy,in recent few years,they scarcely havecame here and some body hunt them for eating I've never tried to taste them.Actually ,as I've heard they are coming in mixed flocks with black crows not sure what you call 'em. ;)

19. Ted

Ted Member

A friend had a game warder ask him do you know how to tell a crow from a raven? How? When you shoot if it falls its a crow. Wardens hate ravens because they are one big reason the sage grouse and desert tortoise are disappearing. Ravens are protected, crows aren't. Population of ravens exploded due to dumps. They eat baby grouse and tortoises.

20. Corvids are killing and eating anything they can find, eggs, baby birds, even baby rabbits and hares.
    The number of their natural predators killed birds is very small in comparision with their annual young birds that hatch.
    So check your regulations and laws, and kill as many as you can....less corvids a chance for more game birds.

and don't try to eat them. ;)