1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

When to go to the doctor?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Bubbas, May 5, 2007.

1. Ok cut my thumb today with a scapel 1/2 long cut. Hubby says no big deal put some dp on it (this is what he does). Wrapped it up. Well I just unwrapped it loks bad wide deep cut. Hurts like he!! What I want to know anyone else done this and went to the doctor will they sew it up or just clean it up and let it heal? I did wash out the dp which I dont think was a good thing to put on it. I have washed it out and have it unwrapped right now but it keeps bleeding a little. So doctor or not? Dont want to waste the money for a visit if they are just going to say to do what I am doing now. But also dont want to wait to long if it needs to be sewed up?

Kim

Wash skinning a duck and I was wearing gloves!

2. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I just stop the blood the best I can, put on the super glue, pinch it together and hold until it sets. Their is just a slight sting. Save your money glue is a lot cheaper than a doctor

3. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

yep nib is right, i just clean it out with alcohol, and super glue it back together, ive done it to several cuts over the years and avoided doctor bills that way, never once had a cut get infected or anything, and in a few days they feel just fine, Russ

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

An ER NEVER saw a cut that couldn't take at least one or two stitches. Then you're on the clock of when to come back and get the stitches out. Pisses me off, but some cuts are too big to ignore. Still, I do what these guys suggested as well. I wash it with peroxide, alcohol, and then superglue the edge. THEN I take some of Glen Conley's Stop Rot and saturate a band aid with it. I cover the cut. Don't ask, don't tell, I'm just telling you, when you wake up, the soreness will be GONE and there will be no reddening around the opening. If you've never tried it, don't laugh. I KNOW IT WORKS. The wound will likely heal in 3 days or less with Stop Rot on it.

5. Thanks guys,
    Heading over to theshop now for some glue and stop-rot!!

Kim

6. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

If you get a little infection, just go down to the farm supply and get some animal antibiotics. My vet tells me that they test them on people before they give the to animals anyway. So you "know" that they're safe!

7. Derrin

Derrin New Member

I am no Dr. but if you are comfortable gluing it back together, I'd say, go for it. I ripped the webbing between my thumb and index finger with a new pair of catfish skinners. It was about an inch long. Could not leave the store to go to the Dr. I picked out my smallest cape needle,(which is big!!) and put 4 stitches in it. Had to get a customer to tie the stitches off. Looks great. If it were not in the webbing, I would have glued it. Good luck, Tommy

8. Derrin

Derrin New Member

One more important note: Use lots and lots of alcohol and peroxide to clean the cut first.

9. animalscheme

animalscheme New Member

Do the superglue, unless the cut looks infected. If its infected your best bet is to see a doctor!

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I with George, I used Stop Rot on a pickle rash when I got lazy and stuck my hand in a pickle to stir a cape. Don't ask, don't tell. If Glen can fix a big hole in a dogs head with it,,,,,,,,,

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Kim:

The only thing I might add to this is that if you have not had a tetanus shot in the past 10 years, you need to get one...same goes for everyone else.

12. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Stop Rot on the bandage, eh?

*makes a note for future reference*

13. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I cut my thumb down by the base & in the webbing. Went to doctor, got all fixed up including a brace to keep the thumb immobile. Supposed to wear this brace for 6 weeks. So of course the second day off it came off , I made a bad injury worse & now I have a left thumb that is all but useless. Seek medical attention & pay attention to medical advice.

14. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Tommy, you the MAN!! I would have needed two bottles of alcohol...one for the wound to disenfect, the other to drink!! OUCH

15. Be very careful with hand cuts. Your hand is the last avenue the blood flows before it goes back to the heart. My doctor told me a hand or finger infection kills more people every year because the infection leads right back to the heart. Never treat a cut on your hand as just a LITTLE CUT!! Its the last place you ever want to get infected. Ive used super glue and it workd great, but after hearing the infection route to the heart now take more care in my decisions. No doctor will stitch up a wound after the fact( next day), due to locking the infection or bacteria in. It defeats the purpose of stitching. When it bleeds, it is also washing out any bacteria and dirt you have in it. Your hands are your most impoprtant tools, take the utmost care with them

16. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

I wouldn't use stop-rot and anything else "taxidermy-stuff" to wounds..wonder if they're safe. I'm in health care as my real job and recommend to go in doctor for any wound that's made by dirty tools. Why risking your own health? If wound needs a sewing,it should be done in couple of hours. Yesterdays wound isn't sewable today. Theres always a risk of tetanus and bacterial infection in wounds. I've seen people actually DYING because infection from a wound is spread to the circulation system and caused septic infection... :'(

17. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Well...wetnwild told you the same thing at the same time...but repetition isn't a bad thing..

18. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Yep, I agree with Tom. They won't sew it up after, I think, 12 hours because they could be locking in the infection. I don't know if I would go to the Dr. but I'd dang sure watch it close. I'd keep it cleaned out with peroxide. Of course if you are not up on tetnus it might be wise to get a booster. If you do go to the Dr., they'll give you a booster and more than likely start you on antibiotics, but probably will not sticth you up.

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO. Look guys, we aren't talking frontal lobotomy here and neither are we talking about a SEVERE cut. None of you have obviously been "out in the bush" I can tell and hospitals are the not ALWAYS the safest place either. More people contact staff and strep infections IN HOSPITALS than they do anyplace else.

Tom, I don't know where your doctor graduated from, but damned if he wouldn't scare me to imply that an had cut had a more direct route throught the bloodstream to the heart than one in my big toe. Tell him to pick up an old World Bood Encyclopedia and look at the circulation system in the "visible man".

I just told you what Stop Rot would do like I told you what DP would do. Both have ingredients that even the FDA approves in them, but not for hospital care. In a bind, they are excellent ingedients and the body is a whole lot more resilient than you give it credit for (At least is once was during the pioneer days when a scalped white man sewed his skin back together with cotton thread and a little cheap liquor poured on as antiseptic.) I'd ask you guys, "Do you carry a first aid kit in your car?" Well, I carry a GOOD kit in mine and I carry it every time I'm going out inthe "big woods". In Alaska caribou hunting a few yeas back, I was caping out my animal when the scalpel clinked out of my hand on the antler. As luck would have it, it fell and imbedded up to the handle in the top of my upper leg. It hit a vein and when I pulled it out, blood spurted up about a foot through the cut pants. I let it spurt for a few seconds and then applied pressure. I got out my kit and doused the cut with peroxide, I pushed a bit of sulfa powder down into it, I pulled a fine catgut suture from it's wax paper package and put two stitches in it. I put STOP ROT on a large bandaid and pulled it tightly over the wound. I hunted for 2 more days before the bush plane returned. there was no brusiing, no soreness, no redness and no emergency calls on the irridium phone to get us evacked out of there. A week later, I snipped the sutures and pulled them myself. The only difference between FIRST AID and First Care is the ability to determine the extent of the injury. If you can't, then I'd recommend seeing a doctor. I'd just hope he knows how blood courses your veins.

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I tried to find Glens pictures of the dog he fixed with Stop Rot, the pictures need to be posted again.

I found it! taxi-lover, you need to go back in time a bit here, check out the pictures of the dog, (read about the stop rot too).

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,1770.0.html