1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rawhide Chews for Dogs, Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Bighorn_Hounders, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Bighorn_Hounders

Bighorn_Hounders New Member

Rawhides from the feed store are expensive and I get a lot of deer and elk hides from friends. I am wanting to make rawhide chew strips out of deer and elk hides.

Is there a good NON-Toxic chemical or NON-CHEMICAL (preferable) method for hair removal? I realize that I can shave the hair, but looking for a quicker, less effort, as elk hides are big.

thanks for any info. email at [email protected]

Brian

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Brian, just how do you suppose the suppliers of rawhide chews got the hair off? They used hydrated lime or lye to remove the hair. They cut the skin in strips and then they ran it through a dehydrator/dryer. Many people obviously let their dogs chew them, but it's still not a good idea. Dogs will get the piece down small enough to swallow but still too large to digest. Modern dogs are wussies compared to the real dogs of the past. Modern dogs live to die of old age, however, because of that. Paying to have an undigested piece of rawhide removed from the gut of a dog is expensive. Repairing a torn gut in a dog is expensive. Burying a dog that choked on a piece is emotional. There are better "treats" out there for modern day dogs.

3. I really like this post.

In the UK they've started doing ''Stag Bars'' for dogs - Basically they're antlers cut down to the recommended size of dog you have. I'm not sure if they're in USA but it wouldn't hurt to ask, or you can order online: http://www.puredog.co.uk/

For some guys here this is probably a ''waste of a good rack'' lol.

4. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

throw spot a leg bone with meat scraps on it. like george said dogs of today are not really even able to be "dogs"

5. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

George is 100% right...raw hides and pigs ears are not good for them...antlers however are, so go with horns, they don't splinter and give ample chew time to help polish the tater off teeth and sooth your savage beast's need for gnawing as well ;)

6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I butcher deer,caribou and moose during those seasons and I take off every piece of sinew I can find as I cut off the muscle groups. I then just dry them off and give them to my dog to chew. The best ones are the Achilles tendons on the back legs. When I mount a set of deer feet for a gun rack I cut off all the sinew available from the skinned feet and dry those as well. Damned dog meets me at the door after work and almost demands a treat....lol.I also keep the "Silver Sinew" trimmed off the backstraps and sell those to people who make native American curios. This yields a very fine sinew for attaching feathers to arrows, etc. Good luck..JL

7. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have had several guys bring me the whole hide from deer to do a shoulder mount. I figures on the last deerbrought in I would keep the front and back lack to practice skinning for doing full size deer, or other mounts.

I'm thinking of giving the bones to my dogs maybe cut in chuncks or just give them whole bone. Any thoughts?