1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrating a red fox (worried newbie)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by KARmer, Oct 3, 2012.

1. KARmer

KARmer New Member

I'm new to taxidermy and would like to have a go on a red fox that has been in my freezer for over a year now.
    The fox is skinned with the head and legs still in. I bought the fresh hide from a hunter that had taken most of the flesh out but the hide has still a lot of grease in it.

Problem: The skin has dried out a little bit which makes it stiff and gum-like -- hard to clean and stretch.

I have read several posts about rehydrating capes in a brine bath, but I'm still worried that soaking it for too long will pull the hair off.
    How long can I keep it in a brine solution? Or are there better ways to rehydrate it.

Thank you in advance..

2. John L

John L Active Member

If it is just frozen you could thaw it out in your pickle and/or Stop-rot as you let it thaw. Not sure exactly what stage you are at currently. I assume that since the head and legs are still in you are just wanting to thaw it out to finish the skinning prep. Rehydration is more for salted or tanned skins.

3. try soaking it in denatured alcohol

4. stickn

stickn New Member

let it thaw out then take 1 cup of salt per one gallon of water when you feel the ears soften up then start your work