1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pheasant wattles paint help

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by tobey522, Oct 5, 2012.

1. I have searched and searched and all I can find is the beak and feet painting. I was wondering if anyine could help me out with the color to paint to wattles of a pheasant. I was thinking gill red but didn't know if maybe the transparent series intense red might be better? I have read a lot of good things about woods and water paints so I was wanting to try them,is there a good color someone could suggest from them maybe? Thank you for any help!

2. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Your correct, gill red.

3. Great! Thank you so much for your help!:)

4. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

I use a mixture of gill red & a little mars red. Make sure you don't cake it on! For me, just plain gill red gets a little too pinkish. My 2 cents.

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Gill red or cadmium red here. I think they are the same thing, though, under different names.
    Live pheasants' wattles are so bright that it looks like the crazy things have light bulbs in their heads!
    If the wattles have dried dark then I will sometimes give them an undercoat of cadmium yellow mixed with just enough white to make it opaque. Cadmium red sprayed over that will be very bright and that way you won't have to apply too much paint. The individual little black feathers are easy to touch up with a Sharpie marker.

6. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog Stay Classy

Napthol Red Light by Wildlife Colors. Best and brightest red I've found for pheasant wattles.

7. Thank you everyone!