1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Price for a replacement cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jkjohn, Oct 5, 2012.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Wow, I wish NAPA, Wal Mart, Sears, McKenzie, Target, Bass Pro, Cabella's and others would do that for me, but since they are businesses, they understand the value of mark up.

Just me personally, i'm in business fulltime to make money, not just get back 'what I have in it' :)

2. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.

3. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

quote: Just me personally, i'm in business fulltime to make money, not just get back 'what I have in it' :)

Amen brother !! I'm right there with ya ! I guess we should all charge the same amount for a shoulder mount as well ???

4. Steven Klee

quote: How can you justify a markup when the customer just needs to replace what he brought to you in the first place?

Because it is not what he brought you in the first place ! the cape needs to be replaced !!

How can you justify $15 dollar trash bags, $4 dollar a gallon gas, $74 dollars shipping on 5 forms in the biggest box UPS ships ?
    This is 2012 and money has to be made or this world WILL eat you. A cape today is worth more than 2011. If you are looking for justification, just wait till you find out what a cape is worth next year when we find out what the devistating reprocussions of E.H.D. is from 2012 !!!

5. michael p.

Because D.Brown, I run something called a business. It is not a charity, and I do not expect somebody to walk into my business expecting something for nothing.

Everything in my business cost something, whether it be the freezers running 24/7/365 or that little granules of vermiculite laying on the floor that spilled......you may not see it visually, but it's costing me.

When hunters and sportsman are welfared into taxidermy it takes its toll on all of us. Now let me add, there are circumstances where it could be a situation that does tug at the heart, and yes, i will see if i have 'extra'.......but in 99.9% of the situations if I were given or purchased something that would 'retail' for $150, it WILL retail for $150, not be given away for free. I must have cash to run my business. Simply put, every opportunity I get to make more money at my full time job, I take advantage of.

If I were to make a mistake, i take full responsibility and come out of my pocket to make the mistake right.....I hold my clientele to only the same standard.

6. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

By the way guys: The customer brang me the antlers only.I never said it had a bad cape. All I told him was a cape will be extra, he said ok. He has tons of money, and price was not asked about or mentioned, I was just wondering what yall normally would charge.

7. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Charge what you want not what others think. I charge what I want out of the cape or whatever it is I am selling. If I get a cape for free I will charge what I think it's worth. If I pay for it, it will get marked up,I am not in the business to give things away. I am with Michael I am not Goodwill hell even they mark up thier donations when they sell them.

8. gab

gab Active Member

my advice on subcapes:inspect them well before mounting.If a guy is paying for a cape any way,he expects you to inspect it.nothing ticks a guy off more than paying a taxidermist for a cape and seeing torn up ears and scars.My clients give me a little more leeway with the ones i replace for free,but not much

9. 24/7

24/7 New Member

Wow. Some of these hard core,this is my shop and that's the way it is,take it or leave it,I am all about the money, get out if u don't like it, guys make for great examples of good ole american business men. Naw I am guessing most of these rough and tumble conversations go more like,yes sir,no problem,I would be glad to see what I can do,hope that is what you had in minde,please come back when they aren't on line. I have,in the past supplied capes for exactly what I had in them. As I see it I made the money I needed on the cost of the service and almost always got return business from it. We all have our own way of doing business. But realy guys. The DRAMA and tough talk is realy useless info!

10. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    I realize business is business and if i had labor in it i would charge for that labor, by all means cover your cost but mike, if you are charging this guy $800 to mount the deer and find a bad cape and you order one for $250 tanned plus a $50 dollar mark up for 10 minutes of your time you have a great chance of the customer deciding $1100 is more than he wants to put in this mount so then you lose the profit from the $800 mount over a 10 minute situation. Just seems like poor customer service to me.

11. Steven Klee

Thank you for refraining from any DRAMA yourself 24/7. I don't recall ANYONE saying anything close to your first sentance. You might go back and re-read this thread, their is a TON of useful info from both sides, even from the straight shooters you are so offended by. Ohh, and by the way, the beginning of your second sentance is correct.....you are just guessing.

12. michael p.

Here's the deal, at least on my side. I think we all need 'encouragement' on every end of the spectrum when it comes to dealing with different varieties of specimens in our shops. My shop is a small one.....I only have so much work to make money with. What I do to encourage myself is pay myself for euro's, tanning and capes. What I mean by that, I only get 25% of the money off of mounts I do. On a deer 'I' only make $140. the business gets the rest for overhead 'supplies, taxes, utilities, etc.'. On tanned flat hides, euro's and capes I pay myself all of it. The shop pays the overhead and taxes. It's my little bonus to myself. As a matter of fact, last year my euro's, capes and flat tans paid for my showroom remodel, a trip to Mexico and a visit to SCI in Vegas. This year 'hopefully :) ' they will be paying for a small addition to my house. Those 3 things, euro's, flats and extra hides are at times a taxidermist nightmare, I make them fun :) My good South Texas capes I sell for $150-200 online. Now if a guy brings in a South Texas deer with a bad cape I have to look at the 'whole picture' If I have an extra cape for $175 and he doesn't want to pay for it, I can sell him on a euro for $175. If I sell that cape on here for $175 and have $25 in it, i make $150. If he gets the euro for $175 and I have $25 into it, that's $150. Either way, whether he wants to mount it or not, it's $300 profit. If I gave him that cape, I lost $300 'easy money'.

I have put my own self in a position to where extra capes are VERY valuable to me. That makes me look at them in a whole different light. When somebody brings in a deer with a good 19" cape for a euro, I do not see a 'free cape', i see a $65 bonus check.

Everybody can run there business how they want, but capes pay for plane tickets, hotels, lumber and paint............simply put, they are not free.

My idea may not be the best, but it sure as hell changed my attitude looking at them. I would just as soon lose that shoulder mount and give them a euro on a big deer, than give them the cape I know I can make $150-$200 on.......but that's just me.

13. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    M.P., i think we are talking apples and oranges here. You are looking at a cape you already have for the aole purpose of selling and you have a fixed cost in it, storage, handling, ietc. My example was of one that had to be puchased outside of my shop so therefore i was showing only the 10 minutes of my time to make a customer happy and probably a repeat customer. I alao agree it is a case by case situation. I thin line in our difference here...!

14. michael p.

I see that point, if it was say a moose or elk cape I had to get for somebody I would only tack on $50 or so to the customer for my time.....but with the connections I have I am probably still saving them a hundred bucks over normal cost.....it's a win-win! :)

15. Steven Klee

Wow, are you really getting $800 for a shoulder mount ? I wish I could pull that in my area ! And for a second question, do you think the client would say, heck ya, I'll gladly pay $1050 but $1100 is just out of the question..and why couldn't the markup be under $50, say $25 for ten minutes work.. Lastly, why on earth would you pay $250 for a cape when there are so many avenues to get one cheaper ? The mistake is in purchasing a cape that leaves you no room for markup. I am sincere in these questions and I am certainly not trying to offend anyone.
    Best, Steve

16. gab

gab Active Member

heres something to take into account:market value.
    client brings in a deer with no cape and asks me what a cape should cost.I tell him the going rate is $125.He says do it.
    three scenarios:
    1 I already have one to sell him and i pay my self $125
    2 the only one I can find is $125 shipped and I make no money
    3 I find one for $75 and make $ 50

doesn't matter what happens the value of that cape is $125 and thats what my worst scenario cost would be if i needed another one.I am fine with all 3 scenarios.if I don't make anything on this one I might make it on the next one and i have a head to mount and a happy customer

17. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Exactly gab.

Steve, ever here of a hypathetical question? Example?
    And yes i have seen $50 stop more than one trade in business, but not limited to tazidermt

18. Steven Klee

Yes sir I sure have. And I do understand your point.
    As I said before we all have different needs in our own specific environments to get by. That being said, for me, I have been in business full time over a decade. In that time I have worked extremely hard to build and market my studio as a quality studio. I have been blessed with a lengthy list of clients who understand quality sets the final end value of any project I produce. Once I sit down with my clients and discuss what I need to complete the job as a whole, not what I need for the added cape, %90 percent would say O.k. Steve whatever you need, just make it look as good as my last mount. I can here it now, some guys are going to say I'm full of it but I didn't build my business like most other guys. I have actually weeded out people who were trouble to begin with or just didn't appreciate my efforts. The end product is a strong clientel base who appreciates my efforts and is willing to pay for quality..
    I'll leave you with this last thing to take into account, No matter how hard you try you will never get ALL the clients. Some think your to high, not good enough, too good, whatever. As for the ten percent that I'm gonna loose, well, that just gives me more time to concentrate on the ones that appreciate what I do and are willing to pay me for my efforts.
    Best , Steve

19. michael p.

Steve said it well there. Personally I want the client telling others about the quality and service they received from me, not about the deal that they got.

That's all I need is a 100 yahoos in here every year trying to Jew me down $25-$50. The others can have them, I don't want them.

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

X2
    I guess that's the first sign of becoming successful. I remember a time when I thought that losing a customer was an important issue. Then I realized that MY ambitions and HIS ambitions are two separate and unequal situations. I figured I couldn't mount all the deer killed in my area and that I needed to concentrate on quality and the expectation of my clients for the same standard. I lost a lot of people who didn't care what their deer looked like as they only looked at the "horns". They are welcome to go someplace else.

And YES, I am a sucker many times. I've given away thousands of dollars worth of supplies and hides over the years. But I suffer stupidity very badly. I'm not mounting a deer with a pus filled eye or a throat cut with a machete. I don't want to hear "well, that's the way I want it." Then he takes it to someone else. Anytime anyone sees that deer, they'll ask who mounted it and make a note. I have a good supply of extra capes that I pay between $20 and $25 IF I HAVE TO PAY AT ALL. I'm not about to sell them for that because as Michael said, the freezers work in the spring and summer and the taxes, electric, and water all cost me something to insure that hide is viable when I need it.