1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Price for a replacement cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jkjohn, Oct 5, 2012.

1. gab

gab Active Member

George,I don't know what makes me happier,gaining a good client or losing a bad one.

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

24/7, let me ask you 2 simple questions. How long have you been in business and are you fulltime???

If you've been in this profession for quite a while you realize that nothing is 'free'. It's not drama, it's not chest pounding, it's providing for your family and being able to buy Ribeye and shrimp for the grill instead of skirt steak and whiting.

After a few years you get TIRED of people wanting something for free. No matter how much you LOVE this profession, it's still a JOB. You have some people who have been around the block for quite a while and been through the scenarios and you mock them. That's fine, but I see a few people who listen to your type of advice go out of business every year.

Yes I am kind to my customers, but you can ask any of my employees past or present, if a prospective customer comes in here begging for price cuts and trying to get 'free' stuff, I send them down the road.

I am very customer service oriented, that's why I've taken in $3,000 worth of work in the last 24 hours alone...... but I WILL NOT deal with a person who feels I OWE THEM because they set foot in my door. Mark my words, you will end up miserable working on mounts that in your mind you knee you could have made that extra money on.

You can call our advice drama or whatever you want, but i grow every year, I have very little debt and while other shops all around me are closing, I'm expanding. You call what we say 'useless' information, I guess you are the chosen one. Enlighten me please, I must be doing it all wrong.

So sorry if we do not give things away to get business, maybe I can try that next year and vacation for 2 days in Columbus, Ohio instead of 2 weeks in Cozumel, Mexico. I here the Marlin fishing is spectacular in Ohio in June :)

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

George, you brought up a point that I strongly believe in. I don't want to do a neck mount on a deer because someone cut the cape in the middle of the neck. I just had this happen and I told them they'd need a new cape or I could do a Euro on it. It told them a new cape was $150, but that I could match the color. They wanted me to do a neck mount. I pulled up a couple pictures of the crappiest neck mounts I could find on google and compared it to some nice looking shoulder mounts in my shop and then talked about how they would have to look at this for the next 20-30 years. Would they want to always look at in and wish they had spent $150 more to get an nice looking mount or would they be glad they saved $150 even though it meant having a crappy looking mount. I have yet to do a neck mount. I don't want someone looking at a neck mount and thinking "Who the hell did that?"

4. Re: Re: Price for a replacement cape

I made a promise to myself along time ago is turn a guy away before I did a neck mount u just can't make them look good

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. 24/7

24/7 New Member

Michael, to respond,first I never understood the need for some one to brag about what they have or where they go on vacation but as u have called me out I have a nice farm, 2 new vehicles,some lake front property which my wife and I plan to build on in a few years, and a dam nice boat which we just paid cash for. All of this is completely debt free and paid for in cash. I have managed to do this after leaving home at age 18 with only my personal belongings in the back of a jeep cj5 and worked for all of it along with my wonderful,very supportive wife. So,yes I know a little some thing about business and making money. I did only get into taxidermy about 5 yrs ago as a 3rd business and have done well enough at it that I am going up on my prices this year to the upper side of the price spectrum in my area. I guess my point in my post was customer service. I am sure u are a top notch taxidermist in your area and realy don't care what u charge for anything as it is your business and you are obviously doing well at it. I was simply trying to state that I thing good customer service is the heart and soul of any business and I think that it is the small things you do for clients that may get a return customer when u need that business down the road. I think it was u and a few more on here lecturing me,not long ago, that I needed to be a little les thin skinned. I think you need to take some of your own advice. By the way congratulations on your well deserved trip yo Cozumel,I hear it is nice. You should try Nassau and Freeport in the Bahamas. They are nice too!

6. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Judas H Priest!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Listen, I'll end this argument for everybody. Just come to my place in the summer and I will "give" everybody some dam capes if yall will just shut the &*(& up! We proccess deer also, so I have thousands to choose from and I only keep the best. Then about the middle of summer I get in "one of my moods", I am tired of digging through frozen dead animal parts, and I start throwing &*^t away left and right! Usually I call Yeager and tell him there are a bunch of deer capes in a hole out back and you got about 24 hours to pick them out before I crank the trackhoe!

But if it will end all this fighting the "pit" will be open to all. Just.....when I am in "one of my moods" please don't try and be nice and make small talk and what ever you do, don't bring up Obama!!!!! Just dig the dam capes out and go!!!!! Christ!!!!! ::)

I'll post when I am getting closed to being pissed! I ususally know a day or two ahead, but not always. Sometimes its spontaneous! Just be ready! :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Geez, some of you guys get so bent out of shape over nothing. I've read some pretty argumentive post on here and imho i think this has just been a discussion showing different thoughts, heck, disnt even seem heated to me. I like round table discussions cause you never know when you might learn something....as a whole i think out thoughts are very close across the board.

8. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Well, 24/7 was looking for drama, I think Ronb just gave him some..
    Look 24/7, I have never understood people who say they don't have the need to brag and then turn around and do it themselves ??? That being said, Back on topic..
    Most times, true customer service is in the quality of service. People appreciate the service because it comes from a true professional who not just delivers quality but delivers it CONSISTANTLY time and time again.. It trumps saving them a nickle every time..
    It is easy for some to come on here put two cents in and just fade away. I guess what I am saying is, I have posted my WORK AND OPINIONS on here many, many times in the hopes of learning from who I can and helping who I can. Now that we have heard your two cents, I'm sure many on here, including myself, would love for you to show us YOUR excellent customer service high end mounts .

Attached Files:

9. 24/7

24/7 New Member

Ron B definately set us all strait! D Brown I totaly agree with ur last post. I think we all see this the same in the end. Quality work and good customer service is the key to a successful business. Steven I wasn't trying to brag abt anything just replying to a question of providing for my family and knowing a little something about how to run a successful business. I have tried to post pics and even posted a few times trying to figure out how to do it from my I phone as I don't have a computer or internet access where I live.your work looks very nice. Congratulations on ur accomplishments.

10. Steven Klee

All you have to do is ask and I'm sure there are many on here with just an i phone who are willing to help.
    D Brown is correct about heated debates, I have been smack in the middle of a few, ( you should visit the fish section ) LOL. Seariously, in my short time of reading and debating on here I think the topics that get the most attention and and by the way, most heated, are the ones involving business. How to make money, what should I charge, customer service, pay the bills, these are all personal choices and people are passionate about them. I just thank GOD for a place like this forum where there are so many experienced and talented people who are willing to share their opinions with others.
    Thank you for the compliment 24/7, and best wishes in your business as well,
    Steve
    P.S. AS far as RON B setting us all straight, I'm still trying to figure that one out. I think he may have missed his daily dose of meds ? And what's up with all the negativity on life anyway ??...

11. michael p.

I love you guys!!!!!!

12. Ron B

Alabama
    BAAH!! HUMBUG!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

S Klee..............Great deer mount!!!! Do you need any replacement capes? ;D

13. Steven Klee

quote: Do you need any replacement capes? ;D

Are they still free? ;D

14. Ron B

Alabama
    Yes....but bring a shovel!!

15. Steven Klee

Well that's not quite right Ron, You were just sayin' you'd save us all by giving us capes, you had a thousand and only kept the best. Now your sayin' I can dig the throw aways out of the pit out back... Hmmm, makes me wonder if I'm bringin' the shovel to dig up capes OR to shovel some, well you know....

16. Ron B

Alabama
    Well lets break it down point by point.

First...I was lieing about saving everybody. I was just trying to get them to shut up! Never works...but I keep trying!

I have "access" to thousands of deer but I only "cape" the best ones. And I usually do WAY too many. Because I am a cape hoarder!

And as far as shoveling capes or the "you know what" trust me...I can put you to work on both. And bring some friends!!! ;D

(That REALLY is a great deer mount by the way)

17. michael p.

You just gave me an excellent idea.......!!!

I love you guys!

18. Steven Klee

O.k. I'll play.

1. You were lieing about saving us all ? Dangit !! I really thought you had it all under controll .
    2. It makes perfect sense for a man seeking silence to come to a FORUM where everyone is talking. By the way, that's kinda why I've been draggin' it out..
    3. As for shoveling " you know what ", I got this scary feeling that if I brought my friends, plus every single member of Taxi.net with me, we still wouldn't be able to shovel our way through it....LOL

I guess I'll quit playing patty cake now brother, and give you the silence you've been so desperately seeking..
    Thanks for the compliment on the deer by the way...... and best to you, I think..

Steve

19. Ron B

Alabama
    OH HELL!!!!! Now I'm scared!!!!