1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fur sewing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mystang89, Oct 9, 2012.

1. mystang89

mystang89 New Member

I'm getting to the point that I will be sewing my rabbit furs together and am trying to find out...well, how to sew furs together. I've looked online but can't seem to find anything that really tells me how to, especially by hand. If any actually show fur being sewn together it is by a sewing machine. I don't know anything about sewing furs together nor do I even know if this is the right place to ask.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Didn't your mother teach you how to sew anything?

3. mystang89

mystang89 New Member

...no

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Sew simple, even a cave kid can do it.

Attached Files:

5. I'm guessing you are wanting to make like a blanket? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R685a6CDyCg should help, but follow what Low T posted, you don't have to use a sowing machine, though that would make a better holding seam. Be sure you line them up flesh side to flesh side. Also, SKIP the ironing step. You will have to trim the furs into squares or rectangles, all of them should be the same size so they line up correctly. Good luck :)

6. mystang89

mystang89 New Member

Thanks Wolf.
    You say make sure to line them up flesh side to flesh side but watching that video it made it look like she was lining the tops of them together which for the rabbit would be the fur side, when she was sewing them. Did I see that wrong?
    I am looking to make a rabbit fur blanket and was wanting it to be nothing but rabbit fur, in other words no linings under it. What has me thinking though is if I sew them with a sewing machine then I would have to fold them on top of each other, like in the video, which would make a fold in the seam. Wouldn't that fold be felt when the blanket is lying on top of you?
    Thanks for the help btw.

7. If you sow the fur side, the seam will be on the top. The best way to fix the lining part would be to sow on a leather or fabric backing. You can even stuff it with a small amount of stuffing to make a more insulated blanket. To do the backing you need to cut the fabric to the size of the blanket, then sow around the sides, make sure u have it fur side in this time and if your fabric or leather is different on different sides, put the frontside in (or the part u want showing). Your going to sow along 3 sides, leaving one open end. Once finished, flip it inside out. You can fill it with stuffing now or leave it and then sow the end shut. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pillow use step #6-8 to help with closing and remember, DONT iron. You can use these same steps to make a pillow as well if you'd like.

8. mystang89

mystang89 New Member

Thanks sooo much! I will give it a try.

9. Oops sorry, I was a bit distracted when I typed that, for the first step, it is fur to fur.