1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Problem with Woods and Water paint Help....

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by agagne41, Oct 10, 2012.

1. agagne41

agagne41 New Member

I've recently completed some blue gill paintings. While using the Candy Krane's gray I was having a problem with a scum build up in the cup which was slowing down and blocking the flow of paint. I would use a small brush to clean the cup and would get this plastic like film. I did not have this problem with other W&W paints. Anyone have this problem? Help would be appreciated. Paul, have you heard of this?

Al

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Haven't experienced that described problem, but did you try using some extender or retarder to thin the paint a little? It almost sounds like you had a reaction with something else you recently had in your airbrush OR you're getting a lot of pigment. In the latter case thinning your paint and also shking the bottle well should help...

3. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

The color is a candy or dye, no pigment to have issues with. As Marty pointed out it sounds like a reaction with a incompatible additive or cleaner. Did you have lacquer thinner or other sovent in the bowl prior to the W&W C K Gray?

4. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

You mean it wasn't perfect right out of.the bottle? I thought it was the solution to all paint problems.

5. Pappacannon

Pappacannon New Member

The exact thing happened to me....color and all ...the exact thing. I figured it could be have been that i had lacquer in the gun and thinner too ....i gave the gun a good cleaning....hope that helped...have not tried it again yet

6. FishArt

Ahh, thanks Paul - missed the Candy part. Most likely a solvent in the brush prior then eh?

P.S. FYI, I use Windex and then maybe Acetone through my airbrush to quickly clean vs. Lacquer Thinner and have never had any problems with any of the W&W's paints. Acetone evaporates SO quickly I'm sure there's never any residue even immediately after cleaning. But, with Candies, no need for anything that strong - Windex works just fine...

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

I to have had that issue with every tranparent and candy color I use, they are not W&W paints though, but are water based paint. It doesn't affect my painting or the brush, just builds a film like described on the sides of the bowl. I use windex to clean after each color as well.

8. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Yep, I have had this issue with w&w candys, except the yellows, which worked great. I thought I got a bad batch, as the candy red was gumming up in the bottle when I opened it. Maybe the supplier didn't store them right, (i didn't get mine from Pescado) or maybe they were manufactured/bottled defectively. Either way, I won't risk a w&w candy. I like the whites all right, but mostly use artists paints through my brush with much better results than anything else I've tried. Still keep a few bleeding colors, neons, and candys from other companies on hand. Sorry, I don't have a solution, just what I've experienced and how I've proceeded.
    Best, Scott

9. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Too many lacquer fumes I presume,lol.

10. agagne41

agagne41 New Member

Thanks for the response. Doesn't seem to be a clear answer. Yet to hear others have had the problem is interesting. I have never run into this before. I only use water based paints. I also use windex for cleaning my brushes. I can't think of anything I use that would cause a chemical interaction to cause this. I don't think thinning would change anything , that's why I went with W&W so I wouldn't have to as advertised. After about ten years of airbrushing experience there is always something to deal with. Paul, your lacquer fume answer didn't help.
    Al

11. FishArt

Try spraying a little Windex in with the paint and watch for a reaction. Don't know if that's it, but I know some paints "curdle" when mixed with alcohol or Windex...

12. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

No problems here with W & W paints. I too use water or windex to flush the previous color. Good stuff.

13. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Al, the fume comment was directed to Jimmy's response , hence the quote. I thought his comment was pretty stupid. so I addresed it. Sorry for the misuderstanding.

Send the bottle back to Badger in a small padded envelope, I'll reimburse you for the shipping . Just send first class USPS. Or send it to me and I will send you a new one. Would be interesting to see what the cause is.

Paul Borkowski
    10640 Whispering Brook NW
    Grand Rapids, MI 49534

Paul B

Scott same offer goes to you, send me the candy red and I'll get you a new bottle and find out what the problem was with the bottle/bottles you have.

14. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

All,
    Just to clarify, I am not saying there is a systemic problem with the W&W paints, and to be honest, the opaque colors performed better than other taxidermy brand paints I've used. And with the great customer service Pescado and Badger provide, they are a great option. As I stated, I can't be sure what was wrong with the Candy colors I ordered, again not from Paul or Badger. I'd like to add, to provide a more complete review of this issue, that I have received various Polytranspar paints from the same supplier with the pigment seperated into a completely solid mass at the bottom of the bottle that I couldn't even break up with a screwdriver. In conclusion, I have found other options that work for me, but wouldn't hesitate doing business with Pescado or Badger directly.
    Best, Scott

15. agagne41

agagne41 New Member

Paul, thanks for the offer. I'm going to try and get the same results again. I'll clean my brush and take out any variables before doing. If it happens again I'll send you the remainder for testing.
    Al