1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cutting plexi glass

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by luciengwin4, Oct 15, 2012.

1. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    Could someone please tell me the best way to cut plexi glass

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Take a metal ruler or framing square to use as a straight edge, scribe it on both sides with a utility knife. Place the scribed line on the edge of a table, push down on it and snap it apart.

3. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    That doesn't sound too hard thank you for the tip

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Instead of the utility knife, I use a sharpened scribe. I have too many problems with the utility knife wanting to wobble and seek a direction of its own. They actually sell a small handtool with a carbide "tooth" for doing this as well.

5. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    I have never heard of a scribe can i just go to lowes and ask for one or for a plexi glass cutting tool and find it there?

6. George

I would tell you a scribe looks like an ice pick, but I'm not sure anyone born after 1970 would know what one of those was either. LOL

Go to Lowes.

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Never thought about using scribes...I have several in my toolbox left over from the days of cutting ampules of semen open to breed cows artificially!

8. Don Jahner

Don Jahner Well-Known Member

most hardwares sell a tool just for that for about $5

9. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

You can buy a cutter for it not that expensive either--any box store.

10. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    Thanks for all tips guys i'll head to lowes and see what i can come up with

11. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

I cut some smoked colored 1/4 " plex yesterday. I used my table saw and then my circular saw. then take your pocket knife and deburred the edges. then take some 220 grit sand paper to sand the cut edges and roll the edges just a bit. then I took a torch and smoothed the edges until they had a gloss and smooth as a babies butt. only thing is don't run material threw the saw's to fast other wise you will get some chips on your cut edge. I have pretty new carbide tipped saw blades had no problems at all.

12. I used a table saw once for plexi. Halfway through the cut I ended up saying goodbye to a small portion of my middle finger and getting 4 stitches to hold the wound as close as closed as possible. New blade, proper blade height, sh*t happens!

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

13. George

If you use a table saw, you should use a fined toothed metal cutting blade. Cutting anything thinner than 1/4 inch often requires Kevlar armor and a bulletproof face shield.

14. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

worked in a sign shop for 10 years we used table saw's, band saw's, router's, circular saw's. not sure what you guys are doing wrong. but they all worked for me and everyone else at the shop, commonly ripped 4X8 sheets down to what ever size we needed. including 1/16th plex. maybe slow down a bit. it works fine. no need to go buy stuff use what you got.

15. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Common sense tells me to slow down, or use a fine toothed saw blade and if that doesn't work, possibly turn the blade around. I'm sure one of those three solutions would work well.

16. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Just got done cutting 1/4 inch on the table saw worked great. I must add I have an $80.00 saw blade which may make a difference.

17. George

LOL Just a little.

18. Definitely use a fine tooth blade. There are some very inexpensive blades designed for plywood that work well. You can also use a fine tooth jigsaw if you have a radius in place of a bandsaw. For some acrylic material I also use double stick tape and a piece of masonite to make a sandwich and run them through together to prevent any cracking/shattering. Makes for a clean edge.

19. A sharp 80 tooth blade is important, but more important is a zero clearance plate. A must when you are ripping the thinner plexi.

20. Craig W

Craig W New Member

I use a jig saw.On plexiglass you can leave the paper on till its cut and that will keep it from busting.I was given a ton of lexan glass and of course it wont bust.Been using it for a while.Pretty tough stuff